Searching for Smallies.

Mike Pike

Hit one of my favorite Grand River tributaries after work today in search of Smallies. Last couple of trips ended with some smaller fish being caught and, unfortunately, a few bigguns getting away.

In this stretch of river, I find the Smallmouth do exactly what they do best.. jump.. a lot! So today, I vowed to do the little things right and it wasn't long 'til I connected with one of the river's better ones. Even keeping my rod tip low, she insisted on going airborn. After some anxious moments, I finally got her in for a few photos.

gallery_35_357_34745.jpg

I put her next to my rod for a quick visual reference( and measured it out when I got home ), then sent her back on her way. She would be the biggy of the day at 15 1/2 inches.

gallery_35_357_12348.jpg

And of course, more of these than I could count.

gallery_35_357_43461.jpg

The rest of the afternoon saw lots of the river's smaller bass like these attacking my spinner.

gallery_35_357_26545.jpg

gallery_35_357_35561.jpg

Just before I was about to pack it in, another good one hit. Along with some nice acrobatics, this one insisted on wrapping me around some submerged branches. I considered myself lucky to have been able to work her out. Snaggs are one of the reasons I like using spinners here because I can ride 'em as high as I need to to avoid getting snagged up( for the most part ).

gallery_35_357_24875.jpg

Then it was back home for her and back home for me.

gallery_35_357_38580.jpg

Edited by Mike Pike

Thanks for the comments, y'all.

Ya, I agree Tbay. The Grand and it's tributaries like the Speed, Conestogo and Nith are terrific fisheries and pretty easy to get to. There are so many access points and with Google Maps, they're really easy to find now.

Exploring is half the fun and you'll never get to all the fishable stretches in fifty lifetimes!

What I enjoy, too, is the simplicity of river fishing. Just pick the species you wanna target, then fill up your fishing vest with a few of your favourtie lures and tackle, throw your waders in the trunk and away you go.

I'm always amazed at how you can walk into the river in a populated urban area, and by the time you've fished a run or pool or two, you've moved away from civilization and you're all alone in the water and surrounded by a lush treed shoreline. A northern experience at your urban doorstep!

As a matter of fact, I've seen more deer at these times than any time I've been camping up north.

Deer, Herons, Kingfishers, Beavers, etc., all reveal themsleves quite regularly to 'River Rats' who fish the Grand and it's Tribs.

What I enjoy, too, is the simplicity of river fishing. Just pick the species you wanna target, then fill up your fishing vest with a few of your favourtie lures and tackle, throw your waders in the trunk and away you go.

Exactly - something about that back to basic thing that just makes it that much more enjoyable.