Saturday Report South Shore Lake O.

huey graphite

Finally got a few hours to myself and after renewing my annual membership for the Hamilton Conservation Authourity, launched out of 50 Point in Grimsby Saturday around 4:30pm.

Employees at the marina as well as another boat just returning, said not much had been reported that day but lately those that were catching, were getting them in 100ft of water 40 feet down. They also mentioned a few brown trout had started to migrate into the marina (which I found surprising) and there were salmon staging close to shore.

I did a quick search with my sonar close to shore but saw nothing so I threw on my lifejacket and ventured out about 3 or 4kms off shore and dropped my downrigger when I reached 100ft deep. Fished for about an hour but had no takers and marked nothing on the fishfinder. Headed back to fish the last half hour of daylight close to shore and on my final pass had my only hit of the day. I was flat-lining a large spoon about 100 feet behind the boat, not paying much attention. I threw the motor into neutral but it spit the hooks after about 10 seconds and several head shakes.

Hopefully things will improve over the next few weeks. Anyone else fish Lake Ontario out of Grimsby in the fall?