Fish and Wildlife Promise

chilli

I've got a local thing going to ask all the Niagara Falls riding Candidates what they plan to do for the fish and wildlife program. I've never taken the Green Party seriously until this year simply because as John Tory is quoted as saying "They add a one dimensional view to the debate".

Until you dig, the media won't provide you with any other view so I dug and found out these folks are serious contenders who have a much bigger platform than just environment. As hunters and anglers we know that environment does however have a large role to play in our sport.

The following quote is an email conversation between Melanie Mullen (Green Party Candidate Niagara Falls) and myself on behalf of many sporting interest communities throughout Niagara.

> On 9/21/07, nosca <[email protected]> wrote:

>

> Hello from the Niagara Sporting Community.

>

> As much as I appreciate the general outline of your platform I still have not had the time to sift through it all and am looking for specific information concerning the outdoor sporting communities. Through the last few previous Governments the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources "fish and wildlife" program has been seriously slashed. This program was originally created when user fees (licenses) were implemented and was to be funded by the general tax base by match funding provided by the user fees. Currently this is no longer the case.

>

> As you probably know John Tory has promised to restore funding by $35 million starting in his second year. With the Green Party not having official Party Status I not only don't know what your plans are concerning the fish and wildlife program but I don't even know what the green parties stance is on hunting and fishing.

>

> Could you please send all relative information which I will redistribute throughout our community so we can make an educated decision come October 10th.

>

> Also does the Green Party support the referendum question or the mixed member voting system?

>

> Yours in Conservation

> Dan Andrews

Melanie Mullen wrote:

> Dan,

> Thank you very much for contacting me. First and for most, the Green Party and myself fully support the referendum. It is the only way to make our government more accountable. It allows more perspective in our decision making and is only fair when a party with 10% support in Ontario does not have any say in the Legislative Assembly to be given a voice.

>

> GPO has supported outdoor sporting from day one, it being a great way to maintain our quality of life and provides endless benefits in terms of health, outdoor education, natural resource management and so on.

> As for the "fish and wildlife" we too plan on restoring the funds needed to support and maintain adequate outdoor activity for the general public. We will invest the funds that will be saved from not supporting the 15 billion dollars (and 12 years needed) for each nuclear power plant. I however would not trust John Tory's promise. If he is elected you will have to work hard to remind him on this one, cause it could be out of his budget as he is spending billions on funding all-faith based schools.

>

> I personally support hunting and fishing because you are eating locally and connecting with your food source as compare to eating factory chicken from china ;) Both fishing and hunting support a healthy environment and need a healthy environment to be supported; we all benefit.

> The Green Party of Ontario's Platform can be read at http://www.gpo.ca/platform and I suggest you go through it quickly and see how we are the only party with long-term sustainable solutions to today's issues.

> Thanks Dan, I have attached a poster for our fundraiser tomorrow where we will be discussing our platform and playing some music. It would be wonderful if you could join us.

> Thank you for your concern, If you have any more questions, please keep the communication open.

> Take Care,

> Melanie Mullen

> www.melaniemullen.com

> [email protected]

> Green Party of Ontario

>

Edited by chilli

Wow no one in Ontario interested in commenting on the fate of the fish and wildlife program. The people who cut it in the first place promising to fund it and the promise breakers not ready to help and someone new who's never had the chance to break a promise says they're willing to do better and nobody's got anything to say about it?

Is anyone going to vote from this board come the tenth? :dunno:

Don't be jumping to conclutions l have been voteing green for over 20 yrs. Before it was just to show protest for the other partie's but now that they have a viable platform its no longer a protest vote. Peace Ken

Edited by bowshep