Another Sugarpacket PB

Rich

Tuesday morning grandma wanted to babysit the kiddo so Greensot, Sugarpacket and I got out to a semi-local pond looking for pike and bass. Sugarpacket had never caught a pike or a largemouth so I was hoping to put her on both before the day ended. Soon after casting out our live bait rigs with balloon floats, Sugarpacket's balloon went down. I yelled SET THE HOOK and after a tussle with something big.. up came a snapping turtle. lol. Sugarpacket screamed, literally as she is terrified of them. I pulled on her line and up popped half a chub minnow, luckily he didn't have the whole fish in his mouth. After a lot of waiting I see Sugarpacket getting ready to set hook into something solid.. wham! She's got her first pike. Not big but it was her first and her new personal best!

DSC00490.jpg

She wasn't too keen on holding anything with teeth so I held it up for her. After releasing it she informed me that if she got another one she'd hold it up herself. A little later my balloon went down, I set hook into yet another snapping turtle. Amazing we've been there many times with this tactic and snappers never bothered us. This one also came off just as easily luckily! I'll touch a pike but I ain't stickin my fingers near the yap of a snapper. Not too long after Sugarpacket set hook into a meaty largemouth, but it shook the hook before she could get it to shore. Then it was my turn, I set hook into about a 2.5lb largemouth.

DSC00491.jpg

Sugarpacket joked that the key to catching fish was to first hook a snapping turtle. GB was trying everything else in the box hoping for a bite on something other than the live presentation. No luck! As we were getting ready to leave I casted out a whole worm on bottom just for the heck of it, and up came my championship fish of the day, oh yes, the mighty bullhead! lol

DSC00493.jpg

That was it. Sugarpacket had a great time and can't wait to go again before the ice comes. I had a great time as well. I'm pretty sure GB had fun despite the skunk as well. Let's get on that water as much as possible before it gets too cold to do anything but float for trout!