Salmon fishing trouble

danw

With all the great salmon reports I got some gear and gave it a try. My first time I lost 2 new cleo's in one night, and that is without getting bites. After a few attempts I had some minor success by getting a few bites.

After I get a bite I can't seem to set the hook, after about 10-30 seconds it spits out my hook. One fish jumped in the air, did an acrobat then spat out my hook.

I don't have much experience. Is there a way I can better set the hook, and how should I effectively reel it in. I have been trying to reel it in as quickly and as hard as I can.

Your advice is appreciated thanks in advance.

Make sure your hooks are sharp. Buy a hook sharpening stone or tool and sharpen your cleos out of the box. Also sharpen after you get snagged or miss a fish.

Make sure your hookset is hard! Don't be afraid to cross the eyes, this will set your hook deep. Keep some tension on the line at all times as slack will also free the hook.

Hope this helps.

Make sure your hooks are sharp. Buy a hook sharpening stone or tool and sharpen your cleos out of the box. Also sharpen after you get snagged or miss a fish.

Make sure your hookset is hard! Don't be afraid to cross the eyes, this will set your hook deep. Keep some tension on the line at all times as slack will also free the hook.

Hope this helps.

what does "cross the eyes" mean?

Sharping my cleo's right now, they are not too sharp out of the box!

Try replacing the hooks with Gamakatsu, Mustad Ultra-Point or Owner treble hooks. I have used all 3 brands of these hooks and give them my personal seal of approval! :)

You can take the hook off the lure and bring it with you when you go shopping so you can match the size of the hook appropriately. Off the top of my head I think a Little Cleo in the 3.4 oz size would require a size 2 Gamakatsu Round Bend treble hook.

I replace the hooks on all lures as soon as they come out of the package, unless they already come equipped with quality hooks. Some manufacturers are doing this now...Spro=Gamakatsu, Rapala=VMC

The starting point to catching more fish is sharp hooks, everything else follows after that...Quality ball-bearing swivels (eg. Stringease Tackle, Spro) Quality fishing line (P-Line, Berkly XL/XT - PowerPro, TufLine XP in the braid category) Quality rod and reel matched to the type of fishing you are doing...

Add these all up and you'll find your wallet is MUCH lighter...but I gaurantee you'll be landing more fish!

Tony

Try replacing the hooks with Gamakatsu, Mustad Ultra-Point or Owner treble hooks. I have used all 3 brands of these hooks and give them my personal seal of approval! :)

You can take the hook off the lure and bring it with you when you go shopping so you can match the size of the hook appropriately. Off the top of my head I think a Little Cleo in the 3.4 oz size would require a size 2 Gamakatsu Round Bend treble hook.

I replace the hooks on all lures as soon as they come out of the package, unless they already come equipped with quality hooks. Some manufacturers are doing this now...Spro=Gamakatsu, Rapala=VMC

The starting point to catching more fish is sharp hooks, everything else follows after that...Quality ball-bearing swivels (eg. Stringease Tackle, Spro) Quality fishing line (P-Line, Berkly XL/XT - PowerPro, TufLine XP in the braid category) Quality rod and reel matched to the type of fishing you are doing...

Add these all up and you'll find your wallet is MUCH lighter...but I gaurantee you'll be landing more fish!

Tony

I am with Tony on this I replace all my hooks with VMC, Mustad etc. The stock are cheap and

probably massed produced.

Jose

I have switched all my casting spoons to a #4 vmc siwash hook. After watching salmon trying to take bait on videos, you can see that they are pretty eratic in there ablitiy to hit a lure. If the salmon bumps a treble, its bye bye, all those points will scare it off. In the same senario, the single point siwash will not 'scare' the fish, and it may come back for more. I have witnessed multiple bites on the same retrieve with a siwash. In addition, you can hook deeper with the single hook. I landed a 15# coho, after 5 or 6 arbatic displays that that looked like they were coreographed by Jakie Chan. That single siwash would not let go. Sharp hooks are a must. See this link for detailed instructions. Don't forget the herring scent.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/techreports/565HookSharpening.pdf

(if the link is dead, look it up on http://www.archive.org/web/web.php)

Hairywater