"Back on the River" Bassin' Report - Sept. 18

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

After yesterday's big fish, I needed to get out again for a few hours to see if her sister's wanted to play.

Hit the water at high noon - beautiful conditions!

Bass01-1.jpg

Bass02-1.jpg

Here is my first stop of the day - a scant 30 second boat ride from the launch..

Bass03-1.jpg

This short section of undercut cane often holds a fish or two, but as of late, the fish haven't been moving into it, or at least getting active, until mid afternoon. Fished it quick with a jig, but no one home.

Continued on to the slop and pad beds. These are on a mud bottom, and very shallow, but again, often hold fish. A few flips in and a fish comes unpegged. I then manage to spook two good fish, by letting the boat and trolling motor get too close. Had one other decent fish come out to inspect my jig, and after staring at it for a 20 seconds, decided it wanted nothing to do with it.

Start the outboard and head to my next spot. This mid lake can doesn't hold a tonne of fish, but when they are there, they are usually better than average..

Bass04-1.jpg

Average would of been better than zilch that this spot coughed up!

Figured it was time to hit the deep slop that the big girl of yesterday came from. A short ride up the river and I'm at my stop.

Doesn't take long to put the first of a few fish in the boat. Not as much action as yesterday, but I do see one fish over 4lbs that was pretty neutral in terms of biting the jig. The wind was blowing a different direction today, which may explain them shifting from this area, or turning off slightly.

After putting five or six 2-pounders in the boat, it was time to hit another new area.

Next on tap was a shallow shoreline, with isolated slop and wood strewn about. You'd be hard pressed to find water over a foot deep where I target here, but the fish are there.

Finally one worthy of the camera. She had a big head compared to the skinny body..

Bass06-1.jpg

Bass07-1.jpg

And here is the spot she came from...pretty shallow, isn't it??

Bass05-1.jpg

Continued to pick off another half dozen fish, but nothing of any real size.

Starting to feel the burn of fishing four days straight, I decided to work one last shoreline and call it a day.

Got these two little guys to finish off my four hour stint..

Bass08-1.jpg

Another great day spent on the water. I must say, my thumbs and hands are pretty beat up from lipping fish these last few days, but getting that piggie yesterday makes it all worth it.

Have to take a week out from the boat, but will be back at it shortly....I can't wait!

Good Fishing,

Justin