Which waders?

mooseroo

So I have a birthday coming up and I'm thinking about asking for waders. Since a boat is a bit pricey for a birthday wish list, I'll have to settle! :rolleyes:

I've never owned a pair before and I wanted to get some advice on what to look for in a pair of waders and which brands I should look at.

I'm interested in getting into spring/fall river fishing a bit deeper (pun intended) and waders are definitely the way to go. I'm currently confining my activities to spincast reels/rods but eventually might try my hand at fly fishing. I'm also keen on trying a float tube in the future. That's for another post though.

From what I've seen, there are a few choices in style (booted or sock foot) as well as material (neoprene, breathable, etc).

What are the advantages of sock versus booted? Which material will last the longest if treated with care? Which brand have you had good experiences with?

If you've got advice, can you break up your replies based on a) style and B) material? This is probably the easiest way to narrow down the choices.

I'm near Toronto but have occasion to visit Buffalo so you don't need to limit the advice to Canadian brands/vendors completely. I can also get to Gander Mountain, Dick's and a few other places.

Thanks in advance for the advice! Want to get a pair that will last me a few seasons and avoid the dreaded soggy -bottoms.

Moose

Mooseroo,

welcome to the wonderful world of waders. In one word: mayhem!

The quick answer to your question is: bootfoot breathables. Solopaddler told me years ago that if you are going to have only one pair, get a good pair of bootfoot breathables. You get the best of both worlds.

The long answer is:

First, because they're breathable, they move more freely - very important in early October or late April & early May when the sun is relatively hot. You sweat a lot less on those long trecks through the bush, and up and down river banks. Then, when it gets cold, you can bulk up your clothing - thermal underwear, fleece, electrically heated jock etc... They also dry much more quickly, even in cold weather. That's a plus when the cold winds start to blow.

Second, because the boots are attached there is no fuss getting them on and off; and they're a godsend when the weather turns cold - much warmer than sockfeet with booties. You'll also never lose the booties: like your head, they're attached (that's a good thing in my case as can be attested to by some of the members here). Most bootfoot breathables also feature a neoprene lined boot, which is why they are so warm.

By comparison, there is nothing that will keep you warmer than a pair of bootfoot neoprenes, at all times - and I mean ALL times, like right now when the sun's so hot you think you're becoming lobsterized inside those things. The only thing I see in your requirements that gives me pause is the use of a float tube: make sure you've got big flippers if you get booted waders.

The next thing you'll encounter, if you're at all swayed by this entry, is which brand to choose. This is where the real mayhem starts. For example, some waders that may be relatively inexpensive can last much longer than the big expensive ones that come so highly touted at the angling shop. In my case, I still have an old pair of bootfoot orvis breathables that has fewer leaks (and easier to fix) than a much newer Chota pair I have. The Orvis are silver labels, almost 5 years old, have been on countless trips & cost me about 100 Can. The Chota's retailed for 379.00 US and leaked after about 6 outings. The difference, as far as I can tell beyond stitching, is that the Orvis ones are made of a smoother material that doesn't suffer as much from friction at the knees & crotch (the two most likely places any wader will leak first).

Good breathable brands to consider are Simms, Patagonia, Orvis and Dan Bailey's.

I mentioned that neoprenes are warmer in general than breathables, but they are also stronger in this category: durability. Neoprenes will always outlast breathables, because the material is just tougher.

That said, I no longer own a pair of neoprenes, but fish all the way through to December, February, March whatever: I'll never go back to neoprene. Why? because of the final component in my mini novel: Aquaseal. As long as your leaks are from wear, you can always fix your breathables with Aquaseal and they will last much longer. Much, much longer.

Your neoprenes will, too.

Hope this helped!

p.-

I've had my Orvis Pro-guide2 waders for the last 4 seasons and they've handled everything I've dished out. Other than a small hole which developed on the inner part of the knee, I've never had any problems with it. They are stocking foot waders...I have yet to find a boot-foot pair of waders that actually fits me perfectly. I've worn them in winter and my feet stay warm with a pair of Gore-tex impregnated socks and a pair of thick wool socks over top. A well designed pair of waders with 5 layer protection on the lower part of the legs and @$$. Not cheap brand new but worth it IMO.

My dad bought a set of Simms Guide waders this spring. He hasn't found anything wrong with his pair.

I found this great product for repairing waders at a fly-shop in Missisauga. Everyone who owns breathable waders should at least have this in a pocket - It's about $10. Unlike Aqua-seal, it cures in minutes. Apply in a shady spot and take it out in the sun to cure. At night you'll have problems curing it unless you buy the UV lamp made by the same company.

DSC_0786.jpg

That's great advice Paulus! Thanks for taking the time to elaborate!

I'm looking at the options available from Bass Pro right now online. Not sure if they carry the same at the Toronto store but maybe I'll make the trip over there this week now that I have some advice and know what to look for.

Anyplace else in Toronto/East that carries a selection of waders before I make the longer trip to Buffalo?

Thanks MJL! I'll keep an eye open for those as well. I figure if I'm getting a pair, they might as well last me a few seasons; your recommendations are great. Like Paulus mentioned, there are a lot of choices and ultimately, two pairs of the same wader might perform very differently from each other. There's no silver bullet, but the experience of others goes a long way in avoiding obvious problems.

I'll definitely look for that UV wader repair "goop" while I'm out shopping.

Where did you buy your waders, MJL?

M

You can check out Lebaron's in Markham, Angling specialties in North York or Tightlines in Pickering. I think Gagnon's in Oshawa has an ok selection, too, but they're often out of stock.

If you can make it downtown, Wilson's is a good place to check out a lot of top notch products. You can try stuff on, and get a good idea as to what will fit you best. No need to buy anything right there and then, but they have a much better selection of high-end high quality stuff than BPS. Then you can order them off Ebay & save yourself some coin :)

I forgot to mention a disadvantage of the bootfoot over the bootie (with stocking foot); the bootie fits better and so is more comfortable on long hikes. There are bootfoot waders that remedy this by offering bootstraps on their bootfoot waders (Orvis, Cabelas); they're more expensive, but you'll get fewer blisters & won't have your boots slipping off in the mud, for example.

My Chotas have excellent boots - it's just too bad that they're so leak prone.

p.-

Edited by Paulus