Adding Weight to Handle

Douger

i have a 13" float rod and the centre pin i have is very light (raven vectra sst 3). the rod is front-heavy even when i position the reel close to the front of the handle.

i need to add some weight to balance my rod.

i know lead-core can be added to the spool, but i'm not keen on that. also, there are butt-weights available that fit into the ball at the butt-end, but on my rod you can't unscrew the butt.

what other options do i have??

thanks!

The butt cap is just glued on. Heat it up with hot water, force it off and remove any tape that's on the butt section of the blank.

Easiest way to weight the butt is by wrapping lead on it (lead core trolling line stripped down works great).

Build up the wrapped section with masking tape so the butt cap fits and glue it back on.

Now, all that being said I wouldn't recommend weighting the butt section.

Do you have backing and line on the reel yet? That'll add a substantial amount of

weight to the reel. Can't believe you can't find a balance point with a sliding ring

handle....

cheers

Bass Pro Shops sells "The Balancer". It's kind of bulky, but worked ok on a 7' medium spinning rod for me. I don't know how it would work on a 13'.

edit - I can't seem to get a link to work. It's available under "rod and real accessories" for $7.

Edited by Burning Babies

The problem you encounter balancing a float reel is different than when using a spinning reel. When using a spinning reel, your hand that is holding the rod doesn't need to be near the reel. When using a float reel, your hand has to be right by the reel in order to control it. If you move the reel to the back of the handle, it just leaves more of the rod in front of your hand, making it more tip-heavy. If you want to try and balance a float reel, you have to move the reel as far forward as you can comfortably, and add a weight to the butt. I used lead solder wrapped around the butt and covered it with electrical tape.

Now, all that being said I wouldn't recommend weighting the butt section.

Do you have backing and line on the reel yet? That'll add a substantial amount of

weight to the reel. Can't believe you can't find a balance point with a sliding ring

handle....

the line does have backing. i was suprised too when i couldn't get the rod to balance. if the reel were heavier it would be easier. it's apparently one of the lightest reels on the market.