outboard Motor Question

holdfast

I have an older Honda 15 four stroke and it runs and starts excellent. I ve used it two years and only changed the engine oil and gear oil. Maybe a spark plug. Should I, or do I have a mechanic tune it for next summer or wait till there are problems. Or do I just keep doing what I'm doing and maybe change the fuel filter if anything. Also for question two, I'm storing the engine indoors for winter. In the past all I did was drain the gas from the carb after running dry and changed the oils then stored it in my basement. Is that good enough as I plan on keeping this motor for the long term.

Thanks

I've never owned or serviced a 4 stroke outboard, but I have serviced lots of outboards and small 4 stroke engines and I don't see what more a dealer would do for you that you haven't already done yourself except change the plugs, fog the engine and give you a nice bill. I don't think you need any of those.

Fogging the engine is to spray a water repellent oil into the cylinders and carburetor to coat the engines internals so they won't rust during extended storage. This is not usually required for indoor storage unless the environment is very damp.

Fogging and changing the lower unit oil is basically all that is required for winterising and it is usually only required for engines that will be stored outdoors or where the motor will still be subject to the elements (damp or non-heated storage). You shouldn't need to fog your engine if you store it in your basement unless its very damp.