for the tent trailer/hybrid owners

bow slayer

I am thinking of selling my 2000 tent trailer to replace it with a newer tent trailer with a slideout or a hybrid trailer.Fact is I need more room. I travel with my trailer once every summer about 6 hours. I like the idea of the hybrid being more stable and without the set up of a tent trailer. The weight for both is about the same give or take a 100 lbs. What concerns me is the increased drag and cross drag from pulling the hybrid oppossed to the packed down tent trailer. I am sure this will result in more gas being burned but also the stress and strain on the pull vehicle.

What I am asking if there is anyone who has went from a tent trailer to a hybrid and what to expect.Do you regret the change? Should I stick with the tent trailer for the long hauls or suck it up with the extra fuel and stress for the more convenient trailer? Any in put would be great.

Also is it just me that when you go from a tent trailer to a more contained trailer you cross the line that is farther from camping and more to excess? thaNKS

That's a tough call man!! It's sacrificing comfort for fuel economy.. just like buying a larger boat..

If you ask me... try using fuel saving upgrades ... I sell these everyday.. they work on about 60%

of vehicles ... in mine for instance 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4l v8 Triton...Does not work!!

works well on newer chevy products..and HEMI some Ford trucks. and ALL diesels...

Performance air filter , more than 15 brands to choose from , people flock to K&N , but I reccomend a Fram Air Hog for 1/2 the price, depending on what your tow vehicle is maybe a Tornado Air Insert

...and even a power tuner for about 500$ ( this works on all vehicles that have an application )

pays for itself in economy in less than a year.

Side wind can make driving a pain. Other than that go for it.

I will pull my fishing boat and sleep on the ground before i will pull a trailer and fish from shore.

I would also but iI get my wife to pull the boat with one vehicle while I pull the trailer. If I had to take only one it would be the boat.

I solved my trailer/boat problem two different ways

trkandtrailer.JPG

My rack will hold a 14ft. boat no problem

the 2nd way was

glidertrk1.jpg

I can pull just about any boat I wany behind this set up.

Edited by Garyv