Salmon Fishing

huntervasili

Just wondering what you guys like to use for salmon, particularily off of the piers and in the rivers... for me as of now it has been pure spoons (mostly cleos) at the pier and all roe in the rivers what do you guys think? i know I am going to be using some of those Jointed raps in bright colours as well off the piers but have seen people using roe out there too... Anyone ever have any luck doiong this?

My favourites

Cleos and Mepps Syclops (both glow in the dark) for fishing the pier

I've seen huge gobs of skien under a Drennan piker float work wonders off the pier...I don't harvest any fish to actually try it myself.

As for stream fishing, I like taking them on the fly and centrepin tackle.

Favourite flies include (in no particular order):

- Black woolly bugger

- Woolly worm

- Purple Austrian variant

- Egg patterns

- Egg sucking leech

I've also hooked good numbers of salmon on pink 4" Berkley worms while trying for the steelhead.

Hope this helps

I got my fly fishing side under control lol.. dont really wanna fish for em in the rivers as that is steelie time more often than not...

Big Clouser minnows (size 2/0 - 2) off the pier can be quite good provided you have the gear and technique to chuck them into the distance...Shooting heads or a fast sinking line, a fast action fly rod, a large capacity reel and a safety helmet work wonders. I know a few people who take their float tubes out off the pier and fly fish for the staging fish out of cleo chucking range...Looks like mad fun.

People are less inclined to crowd you when you're whizzing flies by their heads :D

Other lures that have been productive:

- Storm hot'n tot

- Clown coloured shallow shad rap (if they're close in)

- Husky jerk (fire tiger)

Floatfishing off the piers or breakwalls with huge chunks of cured skein, or giant roebags tied in hot pink scarfing.

Gotta use scarfing, the regular spawn net doesn't make a bag big enough.

Also has to be hot pink. For whatever reason that colour enrages them especially

when you're talking staging fish that are still relatively fresh.