CO hazard in boats

POLLIWOGG

Hi Polliwog, I am an English plumber and heating engineer, as such very interested in anything CO (Carbon Monoxide) related, thanks for the info. Is there anything more recent as some of the stuff is a few years old now. Also I would be interested to know where I might be able to find out any more information on deaths directly attributed to CO. Over here records are kept by the HSE (health and safety Exec) and a few other organisations.

We currently get about 30+ per year directly attributed to CO poisoning in the home coal, gas, and log fires, heaters, boilers, etc. I am very interested in doing comparisons from your country to ours and other areas like the US and Europe although Europe may be a bit harder to find out the real numbers as they are a bit behing in some countries.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Even a poke in the general direction would be a help.

Regards Clive

The CO in boats info has shown up in the last year or so with transport Ca. producing a cd and several magazine articles.

I know a couple that passed out in a boat a couple years ago in a classic CO situation and the doctor never mentioned the possibility of co poisoning.

I have another friend that works in your field, I'll ask him about it.

Thanks for trying look forward to any more info which you can get.

I am a member of ARGI Association of Registered Gas Installers and I sent this in to the members section. The Secretary posted it up in the public section and a lady called Lynn of CO awareness who set up the organisation after she lost a family member to CO she picked it up and posted it on their forum which is doing great work trying to make people aware of the silent killer. They have joined up with Carbon monoxide kills from the US. http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com/

http://www.co-awareness.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb...;num=1180787508

I had no idea it would be picked up and the organisation is not very well known yet, but hopefully that will change, she has been to meet with lots of our politicians :whistling: which may or may not help, you know what they are like.

Regards Clive

Fairly dissapointing on the test in that PDF.

Few if anyone will nto buy a boat because of this. But what they could have done is better compare the two major classes of boats.

IO's and Outboards.

They didn't have complete results for the 150 outboard, only idle numbers.

It would have been better for them to compare two identical boat designs 1 outboard and one IO. That would cause me to sway one way or another.

Either way The results from the IO open cockpits seem pretty reasonable.

The CO from a 14 foot tin boat with a 40 2 stroke was higher than a an IO.

Most people are under the impresion that IO's are worse for CO. I don't belive that is the case. Maybe if you backtroll and stick your head in the bilge. But a good boater has the blower on in an IO and the engine compartment is for the most part sealed. Maybe next time I am out on the water I'll bring my at home CO detector and see under what conditions it will go off.

I don't think anyone would buy a boat on exhaust rating but it might be something to think about the gap in technology from the modern outboard to an inboard.

I don't think most people give any thought to CO at all and 99.99999% of the time we can get away with it but its the time that a boat moves along in the same direction and speed as its exhaust gas that gets it in trouble and if we are aware of that its easily corrected.

Symptoms of co poisoning are the same as seasickness so if someone gets seasick we should ask ourselves where was he sitting and where is our exhst. going.