finally after a weeks fishing at the cottage near norhbay

scuro

Having slayed all the under 30ish incher pike and 3 pound and less bass in previous years, it was time for a game plan change. This year the target species would be walleye, lakers, muskie, and sturgeon. Sad to say I struck out on four species. Unusually I didn't catch one walleye, even an incidental walleye. Lakers...I may have had one on but it is was off just as soon as it was on. Muskie, not even a look or follow.

IMGP0445.jpg

It would be up early to bottom bounce for walleye. Caught sunfish, rock bass, pike, smallmouth, perch...but not one walleye.

IMGP0449.jpg

Took my wife out twice to fish for Muskie. This was her second time of serious fishing. She looked at my Muskie lures and made quips such as that looks like an elongated dead rat. After three hours of heavy lead tossing my nephew cornered me on my return to take him out fishing.

IMGP0428.jpg

He bragged that he had caught 27 fish and I had only caught one. That was how my week was going.

IMGP0447.jpg

Saw a lot of pretty countryside trolling.

IMGP0496.jpg

Even this frog came from under the seats to look me seriously in the eye for the longest time. I could hear him thinking, "that speed is way too fast dude".

IMGP0475.jpg

Campfires are always pleasant. Over the years we have collected a lot of tag alongs and we basically fill the whole camp now. The kids are celebrating Paul's birthday.

IMGP0440.jpg

My wife and her sisters deny that they smoke. Okay...a very occasional social smoke now and then. Hey nieces and nephews...BUSTED!!

On our final night I thought I'd give Sturgeon fishing a go. The water of this lake empties into the Ottawa so it was possible that Sturgeon could be in the lake.

IMGP0463.jpg

Got this nice catfish in 60 ft of water. Fought like a mid-30 inch pike at the boat but finally gave up exhausted. She was determined not to be lifted from the lake bottom and felt like a good snag for a few minutes. Never took her weight or length. I wouldn't have been able to find anything to measure her in the dark. Best to get her back in.

So ends another summer.

Nice reports and pics Scuro despite the lack of walleye it looks like you had a great time.Oh by the way how did the pink rapala X-Rap workout and I know something must have jumped on it .Nice pic of the sychronized smoking.

The water temps are warm right now but the fishing will pick up soon.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike