Went out fishing for a few hours at the Islands

Just a quick report from the T.O Islands. No pics for a change.

I decided to head out to the islands after work for a few hours fishing and a picnic with the wife. Fortunately the Thunderstorms stayed away.

So far in my Canadian fishing experience I have been unable to catch bass on soft plastic worms or on topwater baits so usually end up fishing (and catching!) with live worms. So for the few hours I would be fishing tonight I thought I would leave the worms at home and fish only with the soft plastics and topwater baits! I like a challenge.

The evening started out quite promisingly as I could see lots of fish around weeds and along the banks. So I started casting and jigging plastic worms. This managed to attract the attention of a small pike that twice came out of the weeds and snatched at the bait but didn't hook up, then the biggest perch I have seen at the islands had a sniff but didn't take, then a 3lb bass came out for a look but turned its nose up at the offering (it wouldn't have done that with a wriggling live worm!). :wallbash: Then it all went quiet.

So I met up with my better half and had a picnic dinner. With about half an hour of light left and the dark clouds rolling in I decided to have another go - this time with topwater baits. I noticed that a lot of bait fish were jumping out of the water in one spot so took a closer look and sure enough there was a 2lb or so bass chasing small fry. So on goes my skitter pop and then a torpedo - tried for 15-20 mins but nothing, despite lots of activity and large fish breaking the surface. So I tried a plastic worm - this time as I retrieved the worm the bass followed it but didn't take. So I tried a again - this time an even longer shape follows - a pike of about 4-5lbs but it too gives up. By this point I'm getting frustrated, so I tie on a small jointed rapala shad and work that near where I've seen the bass chasing fish. Not long later I see the bass inhale my lure but before I get chance to strike and set the hook - it spits the lure out! :wallbash: Time to call it a day - just wasn't going to be my day.

Talk about fussy fish tonight. Why is it so many of you out there catch bass week in week out on soft plastics and topwaters and yet I can't. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

I'm hoping to go back to the islands this weekend for a longer session - needless to say I will bring all my lures and most importantly my live worms - cos they will catch me some fish! :whistling: I will take the plastics and topwaters but I'm not sure they will get much use.

Good luck to all those fishing this weekend - I wish you all better luck than I had tonight. :Gonefishing:

Cheers and Goodnight! :sleeping_02:

I hear you GCD. I must confess I wasn't in the camoflaged gear but was wearing dull colours and did try to keep a low profile - but you're probably right they might have been able to see me on some occasions.

I also wonder if the fish at the Islands are so used to seeing soft plastic baits that they are more interested in the real thing! Plenty of bait fish to eat and they usually love my wriggly worms too, even if they can see me!

Edited by OO7

I was there yesetrday morning... The carp action has really slowed down and they seemed to have scatterted but I did manage one even with a bad back after a days out fishing MJL hulling carp over a 5 foot wall. I had to break out my very old weight lifting

belt to lift this monster out of the bay. You missed all the action bro. Kids were

pulling out some big bass which was released back into the water by Bell Canada

guy who works on the island. :thumbsup_anim: He made sure no one kept them. The fish didn't

jump as much yesterday. But the day I was out with MJL they where jumping

everywhere.

dsn

Edited by dsn

Hey dsn - I was actually fishing that Centre Islands canal spot you and MJL were fishing for carp. There were lots of fish in the weeds and quite afew jumping but I think there are so many baitfish they just aren't as interested in angler's fake baits. Didn't see any carp but wasn't fishing for them.

Looks like you got a nice sized carp there man.

Hey dsn - I was actually fishing that Centre Islands canal spot you and MJL were fishing for carp. There were lots of fish in the weeds and quite afew jumping but I think there are so many baitfish they just aren't as interested in angler's fake baits. Didn't see any carp but wasn't fishing for them.

Looks like you got a nice sized carp there man.

yeah most of the carp move out when I was there the same day I caught this one. I'm still trying to track them down. This year I found out more than I did before, while tracking the carp movement on the islands. There are bass in that canal we seen a few and they do chase down baits thats if you can keep them above the thick weeds. Or do the drop and jig thing with plastic grubs. I guess the carp thing will be over for me soon and I'll going for bass. Ahh lighter gear to carry for me that is.

bass1.jpg

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

This bass looks like carp swimming back down to the weedbeds.

bass4.jpg

dsn

Edited by dsn

Hey dsn.

I still haven't given up hope of beating my PB carp of 15lbs this year down at the islands. Are you suggesting that it will be too late soon? I have seen big carp at the islands in September and was hoping to go for them next month.

Maybe I'll get out tomorrow if the rain goes by then - will catch some bass with old fashioned worms - almost guarantee it. :whistling:

Cheers