Looking for a spot

aguimond

Tired of fishing the same stretch of Ottawa river all the time. Need to be a big boy and see the world. Think I'll actually TOW the boat somewhere the weekend after next. Anyone got a rec for a good spot with a decent ramp within two hours of the NCR?

Thx

Aaron

Guest Trophymuskie

My god you may actually have more choices in finding a water body then a golf course within 2 hours of Ottawa. I mean it's in the thousands, you may need to reduce your options by selecting a specie, size of water body ect etc. Check out a map you can go north to Maniwaki east to Montreal south all along the St-Lawrence to Kingston and west to Kaladar.

lunkerbasshunter, thanks for taking a moment to offer a useful suggestion.

I've got an annual fishing visit with out-of-town family so I'd like to give them a positive experience. I don't manage to get out more than a couple of times a year so I'm not in the best position to pick the fishing hole.

We used to charter a couple of times a year but after a while we came to the conclusion that most charter guys are good fisherman who are too obnoxious to spend an entire day on a boat with them or really nice guys that couldn't fish to save their lives. You never could seem to get someone who was knowledegable AND had people skills so now we do this ourselves every year. We can catch nothing and be rude to each other for free hahahaha.

I used to just swing by Muskrat lake at Cobden in years gone by. Hasn't been super productive for me the last few years so I've been sticking to the river. Just needed a change of scenery and was wondering what others were doing. Haven't been to Big Rideau in a long time, might be worth checking out. Has anyone else been to Cobden lately? I hear a rumour that they were stocking.

Anyway, again, thanks for the response.

Aaron

Petawawa, Beach there is an excellent free boat launch right at the mouth of thr Petawawa and Ottawa Rivers. Bass everywhere, walleye, just ask the locals where. B&D Bicycle (Petawawa Blvd) will give advice as well as supply the Bait. There is also an excellent Boat Launch at the Marina on Base. A nice lounge over looking the water also there. You can visit the musuem for some thing different. Also dont be shy as there is an open gate policy allowing public access. Algonquin Park East gate is 15 minutes from there. PM me and I can tell you an excellent Musky hole. Only canoe or Row boat only on that Lake I believe. There are campsites on Base, however I always found my own on, or, along any logging road with a trail. There used to be a fishing map naming the lakes with types of fish. Kind of a county rd type Map. Check with B&D or Canadian Tire in Pembroke. Then theres Corry Lake in Chalk River and the Dam in Rolpton that you can catch nice Pickeral fishing from shore. I even car camped there. And its all less than 2 hours. Ive caught a 29 lb Musky in the Park, and a 22 lb Northern in Chalk Bay. A gar pike in the Mouth of the Petawawa., also a 12 lb Kitty Cat. Many 4lb plus smallmouth. And brookies 15 minutes into the park.