Trolling Motor Problems NF

Matt15

I just noticed yesterday when I was on the lake that my minn kota 36lbs thrust was only operating on full speed no matter what speed setting I put it on. Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

It happened to me Minn Kota sent out a redesigned switch and speed pot assemble. While they will send you a new one they will charge you if it is out of warrentee. I gave them enough grief that they did reduce the price by 25% though. The older version of the switch is not a micro switch it is a regular click switch if you have the older version ask them why they redesigned a perfectly good set up if they were not having any problems with it. My answer was" I am not qualified to answer that question Sir we are always redesigning the product to make it better."

This said I still really like Minn Kota products.

Art

I had the same problem a few years ago with my MinnKota, full speed at all settings.

The speed coil was fried. Of course the speed coil is potted into the bell housing at the front of the motor. I had to replace the bell housing (with speed coil) as well as the shaft as there is no way to get the original shaft off of the housing. You can do it yourself, just be careful to put everything back together the same as it came apart (use red lock-tite on the shaft where it threads into the housing).

Did you leave the motor turned on with the prop jammed somehow (like while the motor is in its stowed position)? That's what happened to me. Now I always make sure it's unplugged from the power supply when not in use!

you sure?

i just had my minn kota PD fixed.

it was stuck at constant top speed.

i brought it out to aikman's sporting good repair out in Mississauga.

they said it was a circuit board problem i think.

if it wasnt under warranty, it would've cost me $150 to fix it.

Kevin the funny thing is that after my dad fooled around with the circuit board and put everything back together, the trolling motor seemed to work fine. I'm not sure what he did but hopefully it's fixed. But if it happens again i'll take it to aikman's.

matthew