Need Help Creating Funny Fishing Tournament Rules

canadianguy33

Hello fellow anglers,

I hope the fishing has been great for everyone this year.

At the end of this month, my brothers, my dad, a friend and I are going up north for our week long, fly-in fishing vacation. None of us are serious anglers, but we all have a competitive spirit and we thought that in between drinking beer and fishing it'd fun to organize a mini tournament. I'm trying to think up some "rules" for our little tourney, and I was wondering if you guys could offer some help.

The lake we'll be on is pretty small (only about 2 miles long) and we'll be the only people there. Mainly, we'll be fishing for Walleye and Pike, but we'll catch some smallies I'm sure.

Anyways, do any of you guys know of any unusual and fun ways to set up a mini tournament?

We always have several games/events going.We have a biggest Walleye/Northern/Trout contest that runs all week.$10 per man per category.One winner for each species. We usually have a $10 per man biggest Walleye on artificial contest. One day we draw for partners and have a Biomass inches by noon game.Most inches/all species.We have (South of the border) day.A morning contest concentrating on a relatively unfished part of the lake.(This forces us to explore and find new structure and fishing spots.)

Thanks Chef! :thumbsup_anim:

This is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for! Got any more ideas? I love this stuff. :D

I just thought of another game idea so I'll share it. We all like to play texas holdem at night, so I thought this might be fun to integrate that with fishing.

The bigger the fish, the bigger your starting chip stack in a nightly no limit texas holdem tournament. For example, here's how I'm thinking it would work with 5 people:

- John catches the biggest fish so he gets 35% of the starting chips

- Steve catches 2nd biggest fish so he gets 20%

- the other 3 players each get 15%

You could mix it up a little and have a smallest fish pot for a day...everyone throw in a duece and the smallest fish caught wins. How about a multi-species prize for and outing or an ugliest fish prize. Anyway I'm sure you'll have a good trip and enjoy the nature too, fresh air will do you wonders. B)

Here is what we like to do on away trips.... You can set your own amounts. We usually go 5 bucks for each category

First Fish

Biggest Fish

Most TYPES of Fish

Biggest Targeted Fish

Most Targeted Fish

Smallest Non Targeted Fish

Fish closest to the time you are planning on stopping fishing...

Usually everyone wins or ties in one of the categories, but if you run the table you can win some serious cash.

Great ideas Joon! :D

Keep them coming fellas!

So far I've got the following games planned:

Saturday - Most fish

Sunday - Biggest fish

Monday - Draw for partners most inches combined

Tuesday - Smallest fish + all reels must be tightened (thanks Clamp ;))

Wednesday - South of the Border 6am - 12pm

Thursday - Draw for partners most weight combined

Friday - ????

Everyday we'll have the texas holdem rule (where the winners gets the bigger stacks) although I doubt we'll play poker every night. For the winner or winners of each daily event the rule will be that the winner can't open or fetch their own beer at anytime during the following day and the loser must pack the beer with ice in the winners boat. Also, the losers can't have anymore than 4 beers in their boat (as I stated in my opening post, the lake is pretty small so it'll be funny having the losing boat run across the lake for a beer refill or to simply open the winners beer :D)

Events/Games that will run the entire week (from a $250 prize pool) will be:

1. Biggest Pike wins $50 - $10 per person into the pot

2. Biggest Walleye wins $50 - $10 per person into the pot

3. Most fish wins $50 - $10 per person prize pool

4. Smallest fish wins $25 - $5 per person prize pool

5. Most inches wins $50 - $15 per person into the pot

6. Ugliest fish wins $25 - $5 per person into the pot

What do you guys think? Does anyone have any really wacky and silly games. Like I said, we're not pro anglers. I'd implement a rule that the guy who catches the smallest fish has to fish naked, but it's a little too cold up north. lol

Edited by canadianguy33

@ Canuck2fan,

I just saw your reply after I posted. I can't believe I forgot about first fish! lol

I think the first fish rule will run daily, but I'm not sure what the "prize" will be for the winner....I think it'll be something other than money, but what? Any suggestions?

edit: I'm so pumped about this trip, can you guys tell? lol

Edited by canadianguy33

On smaller waters we divide the lake, river, into six thru 10 areas sometimes, 1 boat in the area for 1 to 1 1/2 hours depend on the number of boats. We also impose different size and limits always a larger size than the legal minimum and a lessor limit than the law allows say like 3 bass instead of 5. We played for more serious cash though, 60 to 100 per boat.

That sounds really interesting Ohioguy. The lake we're fishing on is small like I said, but it does have quite a few crooks, crannies and islands that would make splitting up the lake easy so I think we're going to do that on the last day.

Also, I'm sure no one is interested, but I bounced my "plan" off my brother and he loved it. He also suggest we have penalties for things such as hitting a shoal (which is impossible for the new guys to the lake lol), losing a lure, and losing a fish. For every penalty $5 goes into a penalty pot.

To win the penalty pot, which I assume will be around $60 at the end of the week, we play a simple daily game which is:

Fishing Poker!

Rules: The goal of fishing poker is to have the best poker hand at the end of the week. Individuals will compete daily for the cards that make up their poker hand at the end of the week. At the end of each day, for every fish a person catches he gets to draw one card from a couple of decks of normal playing cards. So if one person catches 19 fish in one day they get to draw 19 cards to make their best 5 card poker hand.

The person that holds the best poker hand at the end of the day gets to draw 3 extra cards at the end of the week to make the best poker hand. The person with the second best poker hand gets 2 cards towards their week poker hand and the others just get one.

It's really a simple game but hard for me to explain in black and white.

Anyways, thanks for the tips everyone and keep them coming; the trip is still 2 weeks away. :D