flounder and mackerel!!

fishingguy28

hey guys, like i said before i'm going to be going to new brunswick next weekend for a vacation.... obviously i'm going to be fishing....

the relatives of my girl friend are going to be taking us flounder and mackerel fishing.... now i wanna bring some of my own gear.... not a tonne of stuff but a couple rod set ups and some terminal tackle....

in terms of rod set ups what do you think i should bring, (length, spinning/casting, a action)????

thanks guys

We get big shoals of mackerel off the UK.

We usually fish with about 4 feathered jigs on a fairly heavy line, when they are biting, they come up 4 at a time, but if you spin for them on light tackle they fight like crazy, like a miniature tuna, which I think they are related to

Flounder are bottom huggers, but I think they have that delicate taste, like walleye.

Use a hand line with a Norweigen silver jig about 16 z, drop on to bottom - pull up about 4 arms length and jig by hand - might even get into a couple of pollock!!!!

I used to make money on weekend down there doing this.

Good luck

I'm from New Brunswick but never fished when I lived there. The last 3 summers I've gone down in July for 2 weeks. Me and my brothers went out for flounder last year but only caught sculpin, but I think I had on a flounder 'cuz it had weight to it but when I got it up close to where I could see what it was it spit the hook. But I was using a medium-heavy Ugly Stik and that wasn't bad but you might want to use a bit stronger rod so you can really set the hook. I had on 12 lb test and was using a spinning reel. That's all you need. Now my brother says August is better for flounder so you might have good luck. We were bottom fishing with clams. I believe the best time is when the tide is coming in. That brings in the flounder. If you fish around salmon cages, make sure you're allowed to. Some places don't like boats in around them. And for mackeral, pretty much any thing will do. I've never fished for them offshore tho, just when the tide was coming in. But Leo and Ron from Fish TV were in P.E.I. jigging off a boat. Pretty fun. What part are you going too? Take pics to share with us later. And have fun. I did. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Stern Rules

Mackerel...when they are there they are there. When they are not they are not. Large schools come close to shore in the summer. The farther you can chuck out a spoon the better. 3/4 cleos work great...any colour with silver. When they are "on" you will see others fishing from shore. Don't let that bother you even if you have fish inbetween two people....there are plenty of fish. They will cast with three hooks on the line and sometimes have 3 Mackerel on. I liked the longer cast because you have more action. It's a great fish for kids. Cast it out for them and let them reel it in. I liked my lure in about 5 to 10 ft of water....so I reeled in medium to medium slow. When they are there you can have a fish on with every cast.