Berber Carpet NF

Hey All,

I know there are a lot of tradesmen on this form and I'm wondering if there is a carpet guy here....we just moved into a newly built home and we have berber carpet....what I'm wondering is...is it supposed to be rough? It's actually cutting our feet when we walk barefoot in the house....

Thanks for the help guys,

Dave

Berber is a looped carpet ...its actually more of a carpet weave then a carpet. It is actually a giant pain in the azz and not worth the trouble of having it. A cut loop will last longer (berbers unravel badly if the dog catches a loop in his nail ...unraveled loops should be trimmed with scizzors immediately).

One of the trouble with a berber is that they will hold stains and dirt very heavily. You are probably walking on some type of spill that has matted the fibres. If a good steam cleaning and vaccuming doesn't soften up the fibres, toss it and get new stuff. 100% wool berbers are actually not bad, but very rare.

The newer no-stain nylon carpets (cut pile) are far more durable and long lasting. Just make sure it is all nylon and not a mix nylon/olefin. The more money you spend on padding, the longer your carpet will last.