GPS ?

fishy pete

I have it - don't mind it, but have nothing to compare it to.

I had a bit of an issue with customer service that wasted a lot of my time, but it was a weird problem that no one there had run into before (nothing to do with the unit at all).

It has been cheaper. Canadian Tire had it on sale 2X this summer at $200.

Becuase it is the LE model it does not come with a rechargable battery. It does have an adaptor that you use with 3 AA or AAA batteries (can't remember which ones right now). I somehow lucked out and got the adaptor and a rechargable in my box even though it says right on the box what you are supposed to get.

The maps are best downloaded from the Magellan site - they are the most recent versions. Don't buy at Walmart or CTC as the versions they have are very old.

I find the direct route software good and the lake software also good. It is a plus that this unit has a colour screen and it loads pretty quick. Direct route software was about $180 and kawartha lake map software was $130 or so, so those costs are additional.

Good luck with your decision.

It was on last week at Crappy Tire for $199. The unit should be okay - but remember you real costs come in any additional detailed maps that you want. As for technology, this device supports microSD memory which is good but only delivers 17 hours on 2xAAA batteries. Not enough time on costly batteries.

Check out the Garmin line of eTrex GPS. You'll pay a little more for a unit similar to the 500LE but will get 30 hours on 2xAA batteries.

Even with the rechargeable Li-ion battery, I get about 20 hours. Must have a brighter backlight than the Garmin for the Garmin to last that much longer.

The screen light is what really drains the batt's. The level is adjustable and has 3 settings on the 500LE, I just keep it at the loweest level.

I also forgot to mention that the 500LE does have an SD card slot for media storage so it is essentially infinitely expandable.

I picked up the iway 250c by Lowrance for $250 regular 400 plus and I am extremely happy with it. Voice turn by turn instructions, I upgraded by putting in a 4 gig sd card. You can also get the Canada Freshwater Lakes add on, although pricey $200, probably worth it. LeBaron had them on sale and my local takleshop matched the price.

Latest flyer from BassPro Shops has the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx on for $199 until August 19th. This unit provides 32 hours of use on 2 x AA batteries, comes with 64MB microSD card and mini USB cable. Hands down a better buy than the 500LE.

I'll be getting a back-up unit next week when I pass by on holidays.

Cheers,

Barn

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold