Salmon Report & Pictures - July 22nd 2007

Mike and I headed out again this weekend for a little salmon action. We were pleasantly surprised to see that the water temps had finally warmed up, likely a result of the south winds that blew for a few days last week.

We got off to a great start on sunday when we banged 2 screaming double headers back to back right off the bat. The first 2 fish hit the meat on the regular rods and second 2 hit the flies on my mooching set ups. The first double header happened literally seconds after we set lines just before sun up 8)

The action was fast and furious for the first hour or so and we managed to boat at least 6 fish over the 20lb mark. However, as fats as it started it shut down equally as quickly. My theory is that the large fish move into the skinny water early to feed on the plentiful bait and are oblivious to the warm down temps (See below). Once the sun comes up they then move back out, how far out I have no idea, we went looking for them in water up to 150ft in depth but could not find a fish. How they dissapear like that is a mystery :?

We'll be back out this week to see if we can make the board and stay there this time :wink:

Hot baits and lures:

1. Herring Strips fished on Teaser Heads (Silver/Red and Purple/Black/Silver) 6ft behind Hot Spot Flashers (Green/Silver and Silver/Silver UV Glow). 2. Flies (Green/Silver and Silver/White) - fished behind Smart Fish Flashers (Green with Silver Prism and and Blue with Silver Prism)

4. 12lb Shark Cannonbals.

5. P-Line Flourocarbon Leaders (40lb test for the Herring strip rigs and crankbaits and 50lb test for the flies).

Pictures below of a few of our fish.

Salmon_-_07-07.jpg

Salmon_-_07-07_-_6.jpg

Salmon_-_07-07_-_5.jpg

Salmon_-_07-07_-_2.jpg

Salmon_-_07-07_-_4.jpg

Salmon_-_07-07_-_3.jpg

Cheers, Shaun

Edited by Shaun R.

Tonyb, thanks for noticing that :D It was short lived but as I said hopefully we'll get back on their and stay for the week the next time :thumbsup_anim: There are some nice fish coming in now, including a beautiful 33lb King that was weighed in at the Bluffs - You can check out out the board here: http://www.sportsmensshows.com/cgi-bin/sal...amp;page=report

Joey, thanks mate, I like shiny things too :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers, Shaun