salmon/steelheading

mikec

hey guys,

just wanted to know how you guys fish for salmon or steelhead once they move up the rivers? I would usually cast spoons and get 1 or 2 on a good day, but many people catch on float fishing or other techniques that I dont understand even after searching google lol. How do you fish salmon or steelhead and rivers and how exactly is it done (equipment, how is it rigged, how is it fished, etc.)? I am preparing for the fall runs and would like to try out some new methods. Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by mikec

try you tube and google and search for centre pin videos.

THe two forms are centre pin and fly fishing once they are in the rivers.

Spin casting just doesn't do it for me anymore...and I personally think it is a bit too easy

to hook and land fish....However, some anglers may argue drifting is more deadly???

Drifting or float was way more productive last year and early this spring IMHO. I don't have a pin reel yet and cheated by leaving the bail open on my spinning rod and caught a ton of fish float fishing that way. Bottom fishing has it moments but you pretty much have to beat the living crap out of float fishermen so they don't start drifting over your spot in most places these days where I fish. Each year more and more good areas get closed off because of the jerks who leave garbage, urinate everywhere, and start making noise at 2AM as soon as they start lining up to get fish.

There are a lot of sites explaining how to rig for float fishing.... one the best ones I have seen is down right now. They are revamping it or I would have posted a link.

Its all about the pin (centerpin) drift a roe bag under a float. Get a float good for the river you are fishing and add some split shoots underneath just enough to cast without sinking your float. space them out or I like to bulk up I run 4 gram float I use 4 n 1 split shots under the float and 3 n 1 just above my fluorocarbon leader.

Use a pin once and you'll be hooked. From late August I drift flutter spoons with my baitcaster from a 10ft rod and later on in September I switch to skien on the pin. I run a 13 Loomis for salmon and a 15.5 for steel. Find the 13 footer easy to fight the big boots!!!

i haven't fished for salmon yet, but started fishing for steelhead last fall. that makes me a newbie. however, the guy who is showing me the ropes has been steelhead fishing for 25 odd years and has been using a centre-pin reel since they were invented over in england. he makes his own rods and made his own float reel. so he knows his stuff.

i took his advice and started float fishing using an $80, 11 foot steelhead rod with a decent, entry level shimano spinning reel. his motto is "expensive gear catches fishermen, not fish." so my advice would be the same, stay away from the really expensive gear until you're more experienced. in fact, his long-time steelheading buddy uses a $70, 10.5 foot shakespeare rod and a $25 quantum spinning reel. he always catches fish b/c he knows steelhead behaviour and can read water, etc. you can do very well with a spinning reel.

i just picked up my first float reel (aka centre-pin reel) and am practicing in my backyard. i'll likely keep using the spinning reel predominantly for the next season or two. a lot of guys who use the centre-pins say you will never go back. they are fun, and offer a more natural presentation. but they do require more technique and patience, and are more expensive, starting at $170.

if you find a good tackle shop that has a good selection of steelhead gear (e.g. fish on line at jane&lawrence, natural sports in kitchener, tightlines in pickering, even bass pro, or talk to dave at Al Flaherty's on Dufferin - he's dmasse on this message board), go in some day when they are not busy and spend some time asking some questions. there are good guys in these stores who will help you a lot.

also, there is an excellent little booklet on float fishing put out by raven tackle. it explains the basics and has excellent diagrams of rigging techniques.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

take care

doug