What would be better GPS?

Black_Blade

Looking for to get a simple GPS unit snf looking at two from Canadian Tire...eTrex a small yellow unit and there is also a Megellan Explorist 500 LE on sale for $199 (42% off)...the eTrex is $139.

Quandry is, should I spend the bit more for the Explorist...or just stick with the eTrex. Was just thinking to plot good spots and maybe to track a weedline to make for easier trolling the second time around.

Apparently you can save info to PC and name it...then can reload that info when you are heading back to that lake. Sounds cool to me :)

Any input is as usual greatly appreciated

the yellow unit has no mapping ability. garmin has a unit, the etrex legend, with mapping for another $20-30 more or less. it is blue.

i am not familiar magellan but i am sure it will tell you where you are in the world and likely has mapping as well.

Edited by Raf

what i mean by mapping is you can upload a map of the region to the gps (from your pc) and view it on the screen. this way you can easily see your position in relation to the map right on the unit. the yellow etrex does not let you do that. you can still drop waypoints and it will remember your trail though.

detailed maps cost extra but the gps will come with a simple base map.

Edited by Raf

I just got back from CTC and was looking at the GPS's....there was the Canada CD there as well for the Megellan unit....question is...do you need this extra map with all the contour info etc.

For example, if I went to Rice Lake and used the unit without this extra map info loaded on it, would I still be able to have the lake show up on the screen due to the base map that ships with it (of North America)? Or does the addition of the uploaded map just give a better, more detailed view on the screen?