Sauble beach fishing?

ilario

Hey folks,

I'll be camping with friends here this weekend.. More of a beach weekend and relaxing, but I'm thinking about bringing the boat or at least a rod to wet a line in a creek.

I know the salmon/trout fishing has declined a lot on Lake Huron, but is it still worth bringing up the boat to downrig offshore? I have a small boat so I would be limited to early morning and calm waters. If that's out of the question, how's the creek at the provincial park, which is where we'll be staying? What's in the river? I'm sure they get a run of bows in the spring/fall but what about brookies or SM? Any other options?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Poachers Paradise

If you have a small boat, bring it. Even if rigging in the lake is slow you can launch in Sky, Boat and Isaac Lakes. They comprise the headwaters of the Rankin River which is a major trib of the Sauble and very close to where you'll be camping. All 3 have decent largemouth.

The Sauble river below Sauble falls (where the park is) will likely have catchable numbers of smallmouth and channel cats this time of year especially in the lower reaches near the lake. In the lower river right near the lake is a large public boat launch on the south side. Can't miss it.

Beyond that there's tons of great little trout streams on the Bruce Peninsula. Buy a topo map of the area and explore. Pretty much every little ditch has trout up there.

Without giving away the farm, one spot worth checking out is Willow Creek about 3/4 of the way up to Tobermory. Lots of bush bashing but some very decent browns as well as brookies and small rainbows.

cheers, Mike

If you want to go for salmon, you can launch in Wiarton and I'm told you really don't have to venture out beyond Colpoy Bay if the bite is on. Iaasic Lake is your best bet for bass imo unless you want to fight through beaver dams and venture out to Boat (no boat launch on the lake). Iaasic is very shallow but no stumps / major rocks to worry about. Berford can also be productive for SB and Pike. Let us know how you make out

thanks folks... let u know how we do... i think the base of the falls abnd downstream is where we'll try since it'll be tough to venture to far with the family coming along

anyone know what the status of the chinook fishery is up there?