Skamania in Lake O?

SlowPoke

While fishing with a friend I learned of a Trout strain called Skamania. Essentially an elongated Rainbow, the Skamania is native to the west coast and stocking efforts in the Great Lakes took place in the last 10-20 years but return rates were low and stocking was ceased.

When I learned of the species, I imediately recalled Gnoddy's Lake O post in which his wife was holding a couple of really long but seemingly skinny bows. I wonder if these are Skamania that found thier way into Lake O?

Gnoddy's post...

Here

Hey Slowpoke! We had Skamania where I grew up.......the big event for them was called Skamania Mania. As far as I recall they are stealhead (migrating rainbow trout) but run in the summer. Here is a link with a write up and a picture....

Skamania Mania

Never fished for them myself but friends that have say they fight that much harder but from what I have heard of the few caught in Ontario, they tend to fight less......I think water temp was the reason given?? Anyway, ever get near Michigan City Indiana in June, give it a shot!

Write up about this years Mania

Bly