Big Rideau Lake Bass fishing Help

Tinman

Hey Guys! Heading out fishing on Monday to Big rideau, leaving from Lens Cove Marina. Any good Bass spots near there to try hitting? as well as ay suggestions for bait and lures?

Thanks

Tinman :Gonefishing:

Edited by Tinman

Hey Tinman, I don't know the lake that well, the marina you name is unfamiliar to me, but the lake is small enough that you won't have a problem finding good areas to fish. There are tonnes of fish basically everywhere, but anywhere in the shallows especially. Throw topwater frogs, worms, senkos, jigs, basically whatever your favorite technique is, it will work there for largemouth. I'm jealous, the 4 days I spent there last year were 4 of the best days I've ever had bass fishing.

Charles

Oh as far as colours, they all work. I used 6 topwater frog colours and every single one worked. I didn't use many other baits because they were eating the frogs so good.

Go with your confidence colours and I'm sure it will work.

Charles

Hey Tinman: Never fished from Len's Cove, but my father did a time or two. However, I do fish the area between the Lower Rideau Lake and the Big Rideau about 1/2 hour or so north of where you will be. I think you will be in Portland and I'll be on up Route 15 towards Smiths Falls. We turn off Rt. 15, onto Route 1, which heads over to Perth. We actaully stay in Rideau Ferry.

We use small crankbaits and spinnerbaits along the shore line and have some success with bass. But, you'll always get a hammerhandle here and there. Primarily we Florida or Wacky rig a 6" worm on a 3/0 offset hook and just wind-drift over the weed-beds and end up with some very respectable fish. This time of year the cabbage beds should be well in place and you should not have any problem finding some. Where there is enough breeze to move the boat, that's how we fish. Seems they like a different color each time out. Watermelon and Junebug have been good producers for us. I picked up some tubes over the past few weeks and may give them a try as well.

Now, there is some great top-water action there as well over these heavy weed-beds. Get out very early in the morning and just before sunset, throw on a top-water, and let the fun begin. We try to do this as often as we can. Seeing these big girls exploode on topwaters is a real rush.

Hope this helps in some way. Two weeks from this very moment, I'll be on the water again in Rideau Ferry. Don't forget to post some pics and a report when you get back ... I'll be doing the same.

Rich

Edited by Rich Clemens