Camps on Lake Kipawa

Chrispy

I am looking into going up to Lake Kipawa in the spring for some walleye, lake trout and pike fishing.....has anyone been up and stayed at any of the camps?  How was the fishing in the area you were in, Kipawa is pretty big!!  Did you troll, jig, drop shot?  Any info would be helpful!!  Thanks in advance!

Chrispy!

By far your best bet is to join the Kipawa forums for info. You can go through all the trip reports as well as going through all the other posts. http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php Personally I'm a huge fan of the hub area, having stayed at Corbeau Lodge (now privately owned by Eric Lindros) and Alwaki Lodge, which is a 14 mile boat ride from the main dock. Another 8 miles further brings you to Kipawa Lodge, generally regarded as the highest rated lodge in the whole system.

About ten years back Smallmouth bass got in to the North end of the system and have now migrated down to the hub area. 3 Seasons Camp averages over 3lb with the largest being around 8lb.

https://www.kipawalodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KipawaLodge/

https://www.alwakilodge.com/

Thank you so much for the reply Smitty....I am on the Kipawa forum and reading through.....I looked at all 3, and a couple didn't have the times open that I wanted, so I am narrowing it down to Chalets Du Huard....but if the rest of the group wants to go in July I will go with Alwaki, they get back to you right away when you ask Brian a question so I feel they are going to have good customer service....

Thanks again Smitty!!

Chrispy!

Stayed in Eastview Lodge a few years back, they do not operate anymore.

We spent most of our time trolling for lakers using downriggers and leadcore, gang trolls with a threaded minnow on the end.

Walleyes were had in the evenings before sunset: jigs and stickbaits around wood and rockpiles.

Enforcement up there was serious! Make sure you get a license if out of province and obey regs including size/slot limits.  Was there for a week and was boarded twice where they measured our catch.  Have your license on you.

Also, don't leave gear in your boat at night or unattended during the day.

Thanks Reef....so good to know!!  Used to fish Lac Des Quinze every spring and the same thing, got boarded a couple times in the week.....I am always by the book and I make sure that the rest of the group is by the book!!  And thanks about the unattended gear, I always leave gear in the boat we are using....good tip!!

6 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Thank you so much for the reply Smitty....I am on the Kipawa forum and reading through.....I looked at all 3, and a couple didn't have the times open that I wanted, so I am narrowing it down to Chalets Du Huard....but if the rest of the group wants to go in July I will go with Alwaki, they get back to you right away when you ask Brian a question so I feel they are going to have good customer service....

Thanks again Smitty!!

Chrispy!

I used to go in June or early July and the bugs can be so bad that it kind of wrecks the trip. This year being so late and wet bad reports were coming in well into July. We always ended up going in late July or early August. Bugs were about done by then, fishing was just as good if not better and the water was actually warm enough to enjoy a swim.

If you end up booking at Alwaki or Kipawa let me know, I have maps made up for Walleye spots and a pile of Laker runs all around that area down to Hunters Lake.

Both Alwaki and Kipawa lodges are well known for their excellent customer service and Barb's kitchen at Kipawa lodge is famous. You can't go wrong with either.

Cheers