Lake O-Boats Anchored/Drift Fishing

Zamboni

I sometimes see 14-16' boats floating off Whitby-Oshawa area when weather conditions allow. Keeping a respectful distance I've never had a chance to speak with anyone fishing that way, seems to be a combo jigging (raps etc?) and live bait (minnows)....similar methods as fishing whitefish on Simcoe.

My 16.5' is ok for myself to troll-limited.....but I need to take my kids cousins out this summer and also sons hockey teamates another time. Wondering if anyone knows if those guys basically drifting around have any/much succes? Anyone here tried it?

Thinking for kids having a rod in hand each, 5 in boat they'd enjoy that more than hopefully getting turn to fight a fish trolling-I'm only set up for 2 rods that way....in my limited experience I rarely get more than 2-3 fish on per trip trolling.

Early September last year I had my best day with fish 'staging' in Oshawa harbour, trolling around in there and at mouth slowly. Wait till Sept and have hockey teamates fish with minnows? Rarely salmon fish so all advice is appreciatted.