Ramrod Key Florida/Off Topic

Dan Madill

Long story short, SIL rented a place in Ramrod Key Florida for month of January... both BIL and SIL want me and the wife to come down for a few weeks in January...Now SIL contacts owners via email 4 weeks ago trying to find out status of property after hurricane went through...Doesn't hear a peep.

SIL hears nothing...Sends email to cancel booking and glory be they answer her telling her everything is okie dokie...Now SIL is a nice gal but way too trusting.

I have a real bad feeling that the place could still be out of commission, and I am not really keen on booking flights at this time..

So my question is does anyone out there have any connection or information as to the recovery/current situation in the Florida Keys?

Dan

Dan, I do know that Big Pine Key was basically wiped out during the storm. They took some of the worst of it. Ramrod Key is the very next Key south of Big Pine. If the owner says it's good to go I would have them send me time dated pics to show that. Then go from there. I have been going down to the Keys for 30 years, at least every other year. My first time was actually 76' come to think of it, what a difference from then to now and not a good difference. Those folks need business especially now like after every Hurricane to help them survive. Have a great trip and have some fried Conk for me.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks Old Ironmaker!..Actually I got the bright idea yesterday to phone down to a fishing charter place which operates out of Ramrod Key, and he confirmed everything you mentioned, basically everything was wiped out.

Super nice guy to talk to, these people and businesses really got hit and are still trying to clean up and get back to some normalcy...The human condition still amazes me...Here is a hard working business man trying to make a living after being wiped out, and the last thing he says is stop by when things get better and we will go out fishing!

Defenately makes me want to spend my money with him, unfortunately it won't be this year.

Dan