Which Boat Seat Suspension ? Air Ride or Hydraulic?

fundseeker

I am considering installing a suspension seat(s) in my 16 Ft side console Misty River aluminum boat due to bad back and neck. I'm hoping to get some feedback . HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED AIR RIDE SUSPENSIONS ? ( Not air ride pedestals) AND COMPARED THE RIDE TO Smooth Moves or similar scissor / Hydraulic type suspensions? Two companies who sell both types suggest air ride is superior. Initially I bought some 2 7/8" Springfield EZ Ride Pedestals with base for $250 Cdn , but then found out my seat base is 2 3/8" so I will need to spend $100 + more to get a seat mount that will fit the EZ Ride pedestal . So I'm up to $400.00 or more. I read that they aren't all that good with some concerns about rebound issues. Smooth Moves Ultra Suspensions a scissor type / hydraulic unit rated good are too expensive, Wave Pro pedestals rated very good are $900 still expensive. I got talking to Darby Corp. in Sudbury who sells the identical suspension mechanism to Smooth Moves for $380 but doesn't include the pedestal , swivel or slide rails that Smooth Moves does. Another company in Alberta, Ultra Seats Corp. can provide a similar appearing mechanism to Smooth Moves BUT with AIR RIDE ( built in compressor) rather than Hydraulic including pedestal,floor mount,and swivel for $650 Cdn I am leaning toward this latter air ride suspension which can be adjusted with the press of a button. ( The sales guy says they install them in RCMP zodiacs and other boats with good results , as well as using them in small heavy equipment applications ) Thanks

I had the Smooth Moves Ultras in my last Pro V. I was very happy with them. They are heavy bases, think they weighed in around 55 pounds each. I paid 550.00 CDN each about 3 years ago at the boat show. Another brand that I had the pleasure of using is WavePro. They are quite a bit more compact and work slightly better than Smooth Moves. However they are about 900.00 USD. Unless you're doing 50+ mph in 3'+ waves then the Smooth Moves will be fine. Everyone that has rode in my last boat has all went out and bought the Smooth Moves.