onboard charger

I installed one of these 'Battery Brains' on my starting battery 10 years ago and it's saved my bacon a few times. If you're running your electronics for a long time with no engine, it will automatically shut everything down before before the battery gets too low to start the engine. It also has a little remote control that shuts everything down when you're done boating to prevent accidental drain and also acts as a very good theft deterrent as well. They work awesome. If you leave your boat in the water, you should hook your bilge pump direct to the battery however or it won't run if needed. They have them at automotive specialty shops and on e-bay.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sms-333126/overview/

https://youtu.be/yECwvd1Qhtg

No switch in mine either.

Couple hints for a boosting situation. I only have the higher end electronics and if they shut down you need to start your engine now.

If it won't turn over the first time and check battery cables and try 1 more time. Get your cables and try 1 more time. Still no go. Leave cables attached and DON'T try for 30-40 minutes. Give the battery time to get a little more charge in it.

Most guy like turning the key 20-30 times. If it didn't start first time it won't start on the 29th time.

I agree. Luckily, I've never had to use my cables to jump the big motor.

When I bought the NOCO 4 bank charger I also bought their quick disconnect receptacle so I don't have to open the back compartment to plug it in. It's so handy to just back the boat in, reach over and plug in the boat and walk away.