Tips for fishing in Akuamal area (Riviera Maya) of Mexico.

lhousesoccer

We have a trip planned for the southern area of the Mexican Caribbean coast at the end of March into early April. Specifically, we are heading to a small resort in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve first for 4 days, about one hour south of Tulum. After that, we are moving north to Akumal for 3 more days. Our primary activities will be snorkeling with our 9 year old son who just learned in freshwater the last couple summer but has never done it in the ocean, touring a couple Mayan ruins, and hopefully finding some Cenotes to explore.

However, I'm planning to bring my travel rod, and hope to squeeze in an hour of fishing here or there if it's worthwhile. Just wondered if anyone has tried fishing from shore along this stretch of the Riviera Maya.

Another option is that while in the Sian Ka'an preserve, I think we're going to go on an all-day tour of the mangroves in the preserve where you see crocodiles, lots of bird life, manatees, dolphins, and then they take you out to a reef to snorkel. From what I understand, you literally go down to the docks in the small village and get a local fisherman to take you out to do all this. I've read they will also take you out fishing for a pretty small fee - about 2000 pesos which is about $100 US.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this area.

Thanks!

Edited by vtbass

ive gone to this area twice and fished once.

While snorkelling in akumal I definitely saw lots of fish so I am sure something would bite shore fishing off of the beach, however not much in the way of bigger game fish. I did see people fishing of the docks in Aventuras, just tossing a hunk of meat on a hook and catching a few fish.

Not sure if its in your budget of time and cost, but I did a guided trip out of the south end of cancun where my guide drove me up for an 8 hour trip around isla blanca and it was unbelievable. The guide put me on Tarpon, snapper, barracuda and permit, not to mention the scenery was unbelievable.

let me know if you want any information about my trip there.

Edited by AKRISONER

The cenotes IL Kil is included on most trips to Chizenia(spelling) and is listed as one of the 10 best pools in Trip advisor. I have never seen a fish larger than 6" caught from shore. There is a reef all along the shore. I don't believe that you are legally allowed to fish between the reef and shore,but you can always give it a try.