Lake Nosbonsing - East of Callander

T-Bone

The proposal came up recently to return to Lake Nosbonsing near North Bay for a trip into Canada, but there was concern with a member of our group that Lake Nosbonsing was “fished out” when it came to walleyes. We'd be coming from Ohio, so we want to be sure it's worth our while. We were last there in 1996, and fishing for pike, smallies and 'eyes was pretty decent at that time.

For anyone that has recent experience there or has heard some feedback on this lake, how would you characterize the walleye fishing there as compared to, say, 10 years ago?

Thanks for the info!

All our lakes are fished out of the dumb fish. :lol:

It's catching the smart ones that will put your knowledge and experience to the test, and there are plenty of smart ones :)

Honestly, I haven't fishing Nosbonsing, but everything I have ever heard about it was that there was great opportunity for Musky there, and they like to eat Walleye soo..I'd say there is probably a decent Walleye population...

Hopefully someone can offer first-hand experience and advice.

Tony

T-bone,

I fished there two years ago. The fishing in that lake is not the greatest. Sure you'll get your walleye here and there, but your best bet up that way is Nippissing for sure IMO. What works? Go simple IMO. 1/4 oz jig heads, vary the colours, tip with white or green powergrubs and a minnow. Work your boat over the humps and around the weed edges in the morning and evening hours drifting and you should do all right. Check out McConnell & Shields point and the narrows, you may get into some eyes. Lots of perch as well!! Good Luck wherever you go.

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

If you are travelling all this way Nipissing is the better lake by far. Nosbonsing isnt too far(about6-8 Miles) from Callander Bay so if you want to try both set up your stay in Callander and trailer over to Nosbonsing for a day trip.