GPS Tablet Phone? Ideas or Real Experience

Sharkbait22

Looking to put Navionics on some device. Already have a work phone BB that is unable to take Navionics and prefer not to have another phone unless it came without a plan and had a large screen. I like the idea of a larger screen on a small tablet. Are Navionic maps available for Garmin handhelds? Thanks

I have a Galaxy 10.1 Tab 2 tablet (prob $125 used) that works great with Navionics, and looking forward to using Sonarphone with it. If its just for Navionics I would just grab a kijiji used tablet that has GPS. I think Boating HD list all tablet compatible but most with Android 4.2 will work.

I installed a USB connector on the boat for easy charging also.

Remember that NEW Navionics app require a WIFI access to "refresh" your maps. You can do this by refreshing before you hit the lake or teathering off your phone if your tablet doesn't have cell data capabilities.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 76Cx attached to my ATV that I use to get me to the general area (Bluecharts aren't that detailed) then I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 with 7" screen with Navionics on it to pinpoint where I want to go. I picked it up in a Costco in Hawaii along with a 64GB micro SD card for $125. I've used it every day on the ice and it's been great. I also protect it with the Griffin Survivor case.

I have a Galaxy 10.1 Tab 2 tablet (prob $125 used) that works great with Navionics, and looking forward to using Sonarphone with it. If its just for Navionics I would just grab a kijiji used tablet that has GPS. I think Boating HD list all tablet compatible but most with Android 4.2 will work.

I installed a USB connector on the boat for easy charging also.

Remember that NEW Navionics app require a WIFI access to "refresh" your maps. You can do this by refreshing before you hit the lake or teathering off your phone if your tablet doesn't have cell data capabilities.

or stop at a timmies and use their free wifi :P

get a tablet, and pick up a solar charger for it just in case

I always mention the "WIFI" needed info as its a pet peeve of mine. The older app Lakes: Canada preloaded all the maps and never required a data update before using. Nothing more frustrating then spending $50 bucks on a new and improved Boating HD and having to view blocky maps that haven't been refreshed. I have both on my tablet just in case I forget the refresh.

Its Sonarphone by Vexilar integrated into Boating HD Navionics.

Its a simple transducer with wifi connection. I haven't received my unit yet so I don't know all the details but it looks promising. Being able to read the fishfinder info from a 10" tablet split screen with Navionics maps is pretty appealing to me. I don't believe the transducer hardware is anywhere near the new tech with side/down/chirp etc, but its a great start.

I smile thinking of just upgrading the transducer hardware in the future at a fraction of the cost of new units, especially being able to use cheap tablets 10" or bigger with GPS. Vexilar makes camera's too, so why not quad screen with a unit like the water wolf attached also?

A nice feature is the ability of everyone on the boat to receive the data also on their phone/tablet...

I don't work for the companies and not trying to sell anything, I just love gadgets.

You can google all the info.

Just thought I'd mention a few problems with the cheap tablets to be fair.

Require waterproof housing of some sort.

Require a decent stand or mount.

Major glare outdoors in direct sun.

Battery drain with GPS and Wifi on constantly.

Sound not loud enough for alerts on running boat.

All fixable but does add to cost.

I believe most modern tablets use normal sat gps but use cell towers to assist if possible.

Most are rated with 3 m accuracy which is good but not as accurate as true gps receivers.

Of course Ipad/tablets are geared for low power consumption but 3 m is still acceptable.

I think the Cell towers make positioning faster as they constantly have GPS info where a phone/tablet without assisted GPS has to search for the sats and decipher data etc.

I'm no pro so if I'm fudging this up, someone feel free to correct me.