What do you do with a boat

glirw

A friend asked me a question about registering a boat .

If the previous owner lost the registration , what are the consequences for the next owner ?

Is it replacable , and how much does it cost Approximately ?

Thanks guys

For a long time HIN (hull Identification numbers) have been stamped into stern of boats-you can run search off that. The registered owner can easily get new paperwork for his boat when papers are lost, simply request with the vessel lic numbers.

If HIN numbers are defaced, ground off etc....or vessel numbers are gone run away. I insisted guy I purchased from get new paperwork as his had been destroyed....its reasonable and he got it easily (Canada Customs at that time)

My former boss gave me his boat a number of years ago. He owned the boat for about 20 years. He never bothered to register it in his name. So I figured it would be a real pain in the bass to register. I brought in a reciept. the boat HIN and the reg numbers that were on the boat. There was no problem. I still don't understand how it was so easy. Customs just issued me the registration.

With the HIN they can check if its reported stolen so registering with that should be painless Wes.

I saw the boat on CL....looks like there are numbers on the boat with motor so it should be registered. Seems cheap, not new but if that engine runs/is repairable your on the water having fun.