GoPro wifi underwater... Anyone here try >10ft?

Raycaster

I have a small stack of gift cards accumulating that looks like a possible future GoPro purchase. I have been using a HD Camcorder for fishing trips and the quality is pretty nice but kinda getting the GoPro itch for easier control/water protection etc. Being able to remote monitor the video on a tablet would be pretty nice also.

Anyways, seen a few guys on the web able to wire up a cable for WiFi communication with video monitoring.

Seen guys make submersible little subs with the GoPro attached also.

Wouldn't mind looking underwater at a few spot in Balsam as there is a rumour about some moron losing his favorite rod overboard in the lake last year. The same moron lost an anchor also... 8)

Might be a fun project building something with underwater lights also.

On YouTube a guy had it working in about 1 ft of water..........I think that's about its limit, with no cable attached....just using the wifi from the GoPro. I have used the APP with my tablet, works great.

Edited by NewHips

I've done this!

First, I tested the wifi in a bathtub and even a few inches of water wrecks the signal.

So I took a piece of shielded COAX cable (about 15'), peeled about three inches of the outside cover and shielding back on both ends (exposing the shielded inner wire), taped one end to the GoPro, and taped the other end to my iPhone.

It worked!!! It was a bit finicky about the placement of where you tapped the wire on both the camera and the phone, but after a bit of tweaking, it worked great.