Carping again

Danubian

Hello Everyone!

This morning I went with my carping buddy North of Toronto, not very far away...

Got a couple of little ones - 1-2 lbs - but first was a large one, 10 lbs+, which almost pulled my rod

in the river - tight drag reasons :wallbash: .

Without my buddy's help, I wouldn't have managed to land the "monster" so it'll be him posing for the kudos.

126307.JPG

Later on the heat set in, and very little action whatsoever, so before 10:30 am we were back.

DSC00549.JPG

This time I'll try to eat my catch.

Have good weekend, everyone!

Danubian

DSC00544.JPG

Edited by Danubian

I just filet it, and there weren't that many bones.

It tasted not that great. Indeed the smaller ones taste better (1lb..6lb); I ate them before.

Anyway, the fight was much higher enjoyed than the taste.

Line: I think it was a 10lb or 12lb line -the gear wasn't mine, my buddy's- and the fish put up a lot of fight, with splashes and all.

Once hooked, they usually head in for cover - like dive in, or get in grassy areas - but for this one it wasn't any close by grassy patch, the water was shallow, so basically it was: give'm line, reel it back in, give'm line, reel it back, again and again until I managed to bring it close to shore where my buddy netted him. My only concern was to not get spooled, particularly that I didn't know exactly how much line I started with.

On a brute force confrontation, even with a stronger line, such a "beast" may win up breaking your rod or snapping the line.