Simax Rods Closing

I just came across this on Facebook...Maybe other members in the know have more details, Too bad for a Canadian business.

December 27, 2014

Dear Valued Facebook Friends and Customers.

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you that Simax Fishing Rods have now closed and is no longer in business.

Due to unforeseen personal family matters, I will not be returning to the business in the near future therefore had no choice but to conclude operations. I wish to thank each of you for your support and hope to personally reconnect with you in the future.

I wish to thank you for your friendship and loyalty built over the years, Team Simax was a small but mighty force to be reckoned with and collectively we have a lot to be proud of.

Simax Rods will be having a Warehouse Liquidation Sale on Saturday January 3, 2015 from 8 AM - 2 PM, and Sunday from 9 AM - 2 PM at our office located at 90 Nolan Ct, Unit 23, Markham, ON.

This offer will be a cash and carry sale only, limited to stock on hand. All product is sold is new and Final Sale. No warranty is expressed or implied. At the prices being offered to you, you should be able to continue using Simax Rods for years to come. I look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for understanding.

Sincerely yours,

Alfred Zhou
President

It's a sad day when any small business goes under, no matter where they are, but even sadder when close to home. It's the employees that are hit the hardest, maybe just bought a new home for the family, works everyday to keep the Wolves at bay, just trying to make ends meet, to get let go at anytime is sad, very sad. It always seems to be around the holidays. Business owners know they are done weeks maybe months before and try to stretch it past Christmas often. I know we did get past New Years before closing the doors when we had a small business after I retired. It may be an accounting strategy depending on the fiscal year. I remember handing out lay off notices at the plant December 1st one year, 91' I believe, a few guys here might remember all too well. Here Merry Christmas this is your layoff notice and by the way here is your voucher for a free turkey at Fortino's. Some times knowing the guy well and knowing how they struggled working full time I knew it was going to be very tough for them. Peoples lives are ripped apart. That was something I never wanted to ever have to do again, never. That I will not forget. I want to see any CEO or President of a company personally do that at Christmas, actually hand out a pink slip at anytime and with my big yap told one of them exactly that, it probably cost me many thousands of dollars down the line, actually I was told it did. I better stop my rant right here.

I don't know the product but just looking at their website they looked serious. I once attended a meeting and an individual from the bank gave us some numbers that I will never forget. He said of all small business start ups in Ontario 90% will go under within 3 years and of the 10% that remained 60 to 90% of those will go under within the next 2 to 3 years. He had the documentation to quantify his statement. That was in 2006 before the financial crash.

I hope they can bounce back somehow and Mr. Zhou's personal matters are resolved as to get the folks back to work as soon as possible but the future of that company is bleak as it appears there is no future. A sad day indeed.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 4 weeks later...