Sad News for fly tiers

bigcreekdad

Chris Helm, of Toledo Ohio, an internationally awarded master fly tier, died at his home Thursday, surrounded by his family. Chris was my fly tying mentor, who taught me the basics 20+ years ago, and I continued to learn from him thereafter. He was especially noted for his prowess with deer hair flies. Of especial note, his mouse imitations were not only exceptional, but he also was paid serious premiums for specially ordered ones, which often ended up in fly fishing artwork. Although, thanks to to Chris' help, I've been tying up to 3000 flies each year commercially for many years, I was always afraid of showing him my substandard, by comparison, mouse imitations.

Chris, who owned Whitetail Fly Tying until last Fall, loved working with novices, and especially kids, in both fly tying and learning to cast a fly line. He also, at no cost, sent fly tying equipment and supplies to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Chris, often with his wife Judy, organized and led at least one trip a year each to lodges/outposts in the Bahamas and northern Canada. I was fortunate to have been included in three of the Canadian trips. THe memories of each will remain with me forever. Up until a week before he died, Chris was recruiting a group for a summer 2015 trip to Labrador.

Godspeed Chris...one of the good guys.