Had a Grand time

kennyman

Had the day off yesterday so I went out to try my luck locally in the mighty Grand River in Brantford. My Uncle caught a nice walleye the other day pretty close to where I was fishing, so I got out my green floating harness, put a white grub on the one hook and a fresh minnow on the other. Do you think I could catch a walleye .... not in your life. Threw a daredevil, mepps etc. ...nothing. The current moves pretty quickly there and it's also easy to get hung up on the rocks so after some frustration I tried a bobber with a couple sinkers and minnow. Bang ...... rock bass. Not huge but not a bad size either. Kept throwing it and got a couple more. Then I got a little one pound OOS largie (hard to call that guy a largie LOL). At this point I'm just throwing it into the main current and letting it go where it may. One time it went so far it spooled me. Again not big but still fun After that I came into a bit of a lull, so I switched spots again. I'm learning ... so I found some "structure" and bang ...... I'm on them again. A few more rock bass and another small largie. This is really turning out to be a fun day. Even though these aren't monsters I'm having a blast. There are no phones, just me and the river and oh yeah, a redhead in a bikini smimming just a little ways up. Helps kill the time. Maybe that's when I got spooled LOL :whistling: So I load up another minnow and throw him out there. As soon as it hits the water the bobber goes down. This isn't like the other ones. Quickly it starts pulling drag and I'm trying to keep the line tight and adjust the drag. My quantum MH Catalyst is bending over quite a bit and "thumping" as whatever it is on the end of my line wants off. I'm not worried about the line hanging up and breaking because I've got 30# Stren Super Braid on so I just take my time. Normally I just try and horse a fish in but this one takes me a minute. Anyway it was a nice clean red eyed beauty largemouth. I'd say about four pounds or so. Looked and felt HUGE to me . I grabbed my digital camera and tried to take a quick pic. Dead as a doorknob. AARGH!! :wallbash: I usually have a disposable film camera with me, but I took that in to get developed the day before. Lesson learned. So now what do I do?? Okay I find my tape real quick as I want to get this beauty back in the water a.s.ap. I'm trying to measure it as I'm holding it in one hand and trying to hit the button with my other and pull the tape out with my teeth . From it's mouth down to the meat of the tail is about 15 .... as I'm trying to measure the rest of the tail it flops out of my grip. The heck with it, I just put it back in. It was quite the slab though. I couldn't grab around it (like you would slide your hand from top to bottom over a smaller fish, so you wouldn't get spiked). I had to grab her around the back. Anyway it was alot of fun and it got my adrenaline going. I couldn't get the smile off my face for an hour.

Edited by kennyman

Great report, too bad you couldn't hook into some walleye but it still sounds like you had a pretty good day. I'll be fishing the grand Saturday night for some eyes. I'll post a report and let you know how I did. Thanks for sharing!!

Great report, too bad you couldn't hook into some walleye but it still sounds like you had a pretty good day. I'll be fishing the grand Saturday night for some eyes. I'll post a report and let you know how I did. Thanks for sharing!!

What's your bait of choice when fishing for eyes in the Grand?

I mostly use minnows and jigs. Walleye divers work well but there are a tone of snags in the grand and it can get quite expensive. If you need help on grand river walleye head down to Dunnville and go to Fishmaster's, he'll hook you up.

I mostly use minnows and jigs. Walleye divers work well but there are a tone of snags in the grand and it can get quite expensive. If you need help on grand river walleye head down to Dunnville and go to Fishmaster's, he'll hook you up.

Xrap, I did go to Dunnville last weekend.Made a point to go to the tackle shop and asked for him (and actually meet my first OFC'er). We were late getting there, but we were just in a casual mood. We'd never fished in Dunnville and the weather was 'iffy' so we didn't even bring the tinny. So I'm guessing it was between 8:30 and 9:00 AM when we got to the tackle shop. Anway he was still sleeping :sleeping_02: . The landlord was there and sold us some minnows and floating harnesses and told us to go over to the BBQ park. I paid $7 for the car,driver and passenger. Not a bad gig,owning that piece of property ;) . So we spent a couple hours there and all we saw anybody catching was carp,cats, etc. We caught zip,nada,nuttin. I guess we missed the boat on this one, literally. I won't go back there without the boat. We did however take his backup advice and head to Port Maitland which was pretty good. I want to go back there in a couple weeks when bass season opens.Looks like it could be fun.

Edited by kennyman

Great report Kennyman!! Sounded like a great day and great scenery!! LOL. When you said "I grabbed my digital camera and tried to take a quick pic. Dead as a doorknob. AARGH!! ", I first thought you meant the fish was dead....haha. Thanks for the report...next time get a pic of that redhead...LOL :lol:

Just thought I'd add that me and my buddy LJ headed out to the Grand again tonight and each got a two pound walleye. There were bugs everywhere and fish surfacing so I threw a blue chug bug topwater and Mr. Walleye thought it looked yummy. In turn we thought he looked yummy. We kept them both. These are the first fish I've kept since I was a teenager (my buddy keeps a few every year, mostly walleyes). I also caught some more rock bass on minnows and another couple pound bass, which I thanked for the good scrap and let go. It was another good night on the Grand. Maybe there is something to these moon phases?

Edited by kennyman