Have you ever hooked a gull?

SuperDave

Got a gull this afternoon fishing for Mackerel in Louisbourg, N.S. Mid-cast, the bird flew right in front of my lure, and if you've ever seen a Mackerel rig, you'll know it has 3 snelled hooks plus a treble hooked jig at the end of the rig. The bird got broadsided by the whole thing! I was able to drag it back to me, and with the help of my father in law, we got it free. Thank goodness for my super long needle nose pliers or one of us might have had a few chunks taken out of us by that bird brain!

Had one grab my Chug Bug (topwater) when we were camping at Rideau Provincial Park a couple weeks ago.. He saw it when I popped it, he turned, swooped down and grabbed it. He tried to fly away twice but barely got off the water only to splash down again. He sat there confused for a few seconds and tried again. The third time was a charm. I'm glad I didn't try to reel in because I would have only set the hook.

I admit I was dreading the thought of reeling him in and trying to get the trebles unhooked while getting pecked to death. LOL.

That morning all I caught from the dock was a small pike and the gull. Does the bird count ?? :sarcasm:

Hooked a cormorant on a cast from the Bayfield pier and an in air fight ensued. My 10 year old son was amazed and kept asking "Is it putting up a good fight Dad?" I had to keep shushing him, and stifiling my own laughter,there was a lady bird watcher setting up her giant camera and tri-pod right behind us. Fortunately she was so intent on setting up her equipment that she missed the entire ordeal from hook to release!