Short X-lake report.

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Decided to head up to a small lake and go for some non stop Pike on Saturday. We got there around 7:30 and launched. Water temps were 65 degrees, so i'm thinking they are going to be aggressive. Nope. Couldn't find them.

We searched a few spots that looked prime with not even a follow to show. The water started to heat up quickly. It was at about 68 degrees. We started getting some follows and soon after(basically the next cast or so) fish on!

I started nailing a few hammerhandles on husky jerks. Switched to a ex large spinner bait and nailed another hammer handle. Next cast? Snap. Another discontinued lure gone bye bye. :(

Anyways, we saw a number of follows and caught a number of hammer handles on various lures. Body baits, Sluggos,inline spinners,spinner baits, ect..and I even nailed a pike dragging a grub and jig on bottom.

We also caught a number of both large and small mouth bass. Some pretty decent. I guess the bass become more active in the smaller lakes first since they heat up faster.....

We tried trolling in 40 to 70 feet of water for large pike using big body baits for over an hour with no luck.

We searched new areas of the lake we had never been. I didn't like what I saw so we turned back to where I was familiar with. I need to start buying some maps. It would save me alot of time and gas. :(

Around 6 the water temps had reached 72 degrees. Now I had heard there were pickeral in this lake but have never caught one. I told my friend, maybe we dont catch pickeral because we always use big pike lures and to downsize to crank baits. I figure its a small lake and the pickeral are small also.

Sure enough. He throws out a lure that he just bought that he liked. A small bluegill crankbait. Wham. He catches a pickeral. He keeps casting and starts nailing all kinds of pike and smallies in 12 FOW. Gotta love it when a new lure produces like that. He is planning to go back and clean out the shelf.lol

I put on a similar lure and I too start smacking some pike, though not as much as him.

I then decide to put on a simple jig and grub. Start fan casting and after a number of casts, wham! I reel it in and its a decent pickeral!!In the livewell it goes.

Here is the picture but it didn't come out too well as you can see. It was about 2-3 lbs.

pickeralfry001.jpg

After that I hit another one but either there was a kink in the line or a pike. I lost it and it felt heavy. Took my jig. Put on another one and proceeded to start smashing more pike. Got bit off again!And retied and kept casting. Though the mosquitos were BRUTAL. I wanted to stay and smash more pickeral, but my buddy had enough. Dang!!!!I would have stayed after dark. Oh well it was another great day of fishing!!!

Sorry about the lack of pictures but most pike were small and under 2 pounds. I only had one follow that was over 30 inchs.And he didn't commit.

Guest Johnny Bass

Actually Brian. I am quite sure you fished this lake before.;)

Clamp it. I had a light behind me and in front of me. Just no light in between. :wallbash:

Well I just recently made the upgrade to digital. $17.00 plus tax and a battery charger. :rolleyes:

At least I am more enviormentally friendly. And the pictures are cheaper since I dont develop them.

I am debating between a new tackle box($65) or Digital camera($200) I am leaning towards the

tackle box!