Teen dies trying to get his lure un-snagged

kickingfrog

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/teen-dies-in-frigid-pond-after-fishing-line-gets-stuck-1.2650526?cmp=rss

A 17-year-old boy who had been fishing at Barachois Pond Provincial Park on Newfoundland's west coast has died after his fishing line became hooked on something in the water.

Bay St. George RCMP received a report from a park warden around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday that the teen could not be found after he was last seen in the water about seven metres from shore.

Police said the boy, who was from Stephenville Crossing, swam out to try and free his line.

After several minutes in the water, however, he was clearly in distress.

Others nearby tried to rescue him, but were not successful, police said.

RCMP Cpl. John Butler said the water is colder and deeper than usual, due to snow melting from nearby mountains.

"A person going into the water would likely experience the effects of hypothermia quite quickly, within a few minutes, and it's possible that the water depth being different and the hypothermic conditions possibly played a part in this," Butler said.

Police, park wardens and ground search and rescue teams used underwater cameras and recovered the body at approximately 11 p.m.

It's not clear whether the boy drowned. Police said an autopsy is pending.

Butler said alcohol was not a factor in the incident.

The boy's name is being withheld for now.

That is terrible.

Not to make this post any more sad... But this story reminded my of something similar that happened in my family years ago.

My great uncle was fishing with a young lad about 50 years ago on 6-mile. The young lad broke off his favourite lure. The little guy was very upset. My great uncle, feeling bad about the lads lose, went back with snorkelling gear to try to find the lure for him. He was run over by a boat, caught the skeg in the back of his head and was killed instantly...

A lure ain't worth your life..