First GTA Pike Excursions

I attempted to capture my first pike this past week / weekend. I tried Humber Bay East and West last year for carp, bass and panfish during the summer and was unsuccessful. I decided to start my season there with a friend whose fishing time has shrunk away.

He'd never been, so I sent him a Google map and we decided to tackle (no pun intended) the park.

It was about 6:30pm, we began at the bay which begins at #5 and worked our way to the north (left) until the beaver dam. The area between the island / beaver dam and the shore is shallow and casting became a nuisance, so I continued to fish in a 45, 90 and 135 degree casting pattern and worked my way back down and around to #9. I cast into #7, but the water seemed too dark and stagnant for pike. As the sun went down something large surfaced between the first opening of #7 and I continued to bomb my Williams 5 of Diamonds spoon with no luck.

When my friend saw another splash, he recommend that I switch to a Size 5 Mepps Black Fury with a dressed tail. I tried my silver Syclops as well.

No Luck.

We spent the rest of the evening trying with a Williams perch spoon and a Size 4 Mepps Copper Comet along the Mimico bay #8. We covered the area between the point directly above the #8 along to the point to the left of #1.

No Luck.

I spent another 2 hour after dinner one night at the end of last week bombing that same Size 5 Mepps Black Fury all along #5 and # 9. I lost that Size 5 Mepps Black Fury in #5. It's hung up on a rope underwater. I tried my silver Syclops as well.

Pike 3 – Me 0.

Last Saturday I went out early in the morning to the Holand Canal just off the highway, and I spent 3 hours looking for pike. I started at the municipal parking lot and moved towards the massive tree (west).

A father and son caught 4 pike that, “Weren't worth weighing.” Another guy caught a scrappy 3 or so pound carp.

I tried a small jointed Rapala (silver minnow), a #4 Black Fury with no dressing, a #0 Silver Mepps and a #0 Mepps Candy cane stripe. I also used a large Syclops.

I fell into a sinkhole up to my right knee.

I lost the Size 4 Mepps Copper Comet in a tree.

That took about 3.5 hours.

Pike 4 – Me 0.

I'm heading out this week again. I don't want to use live minnows. Spoons were a pain to retrieve in the Holand because they were full of weeds. I picked up two 3 inch Rapalas (silver and a funky pearch).

Will these be any better?

humberbay.jpg