Need help with GPS

bass_man

Hi Guys, I'm hoping to get some help understanding GPS options, I know nothing about it except that I think I want one.

I'm on a very small pension so I need to be frugal.

What can I expect to get with a hand held? Do the built in world maps look like the Google maps? What about Navionics if I'm not on one of the specified lakes? Do all tablets come with built in GPS connections?

I told you I don't know anything about it. Any advice or info will be appreciated.

Jim

If you use the search tool you can find a number of threads on this site discussing GPS Fishfinder combos. YouTube is also a good place to research specific units and how gps and navionics work.

Radioworld.ca has some good boxing weeks deals on fish finders with GPS.

Keep it simple, an entry level Garmin will work. The maps that come with it are useless, you need to buy the map soft wear too, or borrow it off of a friend.

I have a Garmin Legend with all the topo maps, and love it. It has just lost the use of some of the keys, so I too will be looking for a new one.

First question is: what do you want to do with it?

Fishing?

Driving?

Both?

I have a few GPS's. On the ice I use a cheap garmin Etrex that I load waypoint onto, or mark while im out. It works great for getting to and from a fishing hole, but thats about it. I also carry it in the bush, just in case.

On the water I use a lowrance, with navionics.

In the car, I dont use one.

S.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. It works great. I download topo maps from YouTube (ibycus topo) and downloaded them onto my GPS. They are excellent maps. It took a long time to download but I now have topo maps for all of Canada. Check out "ibycus topo". It is FREE.

Regards,

Snowball