Hate to beat a dead horse but...fluor question

ssauvain

I know alot has been written about the fluoro debate. I see bass pro has Seaguar® Fluorocarbon Coils - 100 ft for sale...is this what I would make my leaders out of??? Now just opinions I realize but would I best better served to tie a barrel swivel to my power pro and then the leader and I assume just use a palomar to tie on my jig, rapala, or whatever to the fluoro leader material? Thanks for clarifying...suggestions on which barrels to use too as I would like to get my rigs made up before trip to Canada. On walleye what poundage of fluor leader? On Pike rods what poundage? Thanks again guys and gals!

I use 45lb fluoro on my pike leaders and they stand up pretty well unless I made a booboo when I was making them. I wouldn't go any lower personally but plenty of people do. As far as walleye go I simply match the diameter of my old line. So I use 50lb PP on my baitcaster where I used to use 12 so I use a 12 pound fluoro leader for bass and walleye.

Hope this helps

RJ

I make my leaders one of three ways. For my pike rods that do not see lures that twist (ie. spinners/spoons) I tied the braid directly to the fluro using a uni-to-uni knot, a perfection loop (google it) on the other end and a snap. For setups that will twist, I make leaders with a quality swivel on one end and snap on the other. I use a perfection loop to make the loops. I've been using 45lb seaguar fluoro for pike, but next time I will go a little heavier, say 60. You should still be able to tie with 60lb. For muskie leaders I've been using 130lb fluoro and crimping, not tieing although some guys still tie, I just find the thick fluoro tough to tie. Same deal as above, welded ring swivel on one end and a good snap on the other.

Edited by Raf

yup there she be, nice n easy. i dab a it of crazy glue. not sure if it really makes a difference but i sleep better at night. just remember to thread the swivel through first. :whistling::unsure:

I make my leaders one of three ways. For my pike rods that do not see lures that twist (ie. spinners/spoons) I tied the braid directly to the fluro using a uni-to-uni knot, a perfection loop (google it) on the other end and a snap. For setups that will twist, I make leaders with a quality swivel on one end and snap on the other. I use a perfection loop to make the loops. I've been using 45lb seaguar fluoro for pike, but next time I will go a little heavier, say 60. You should still be able to tie with 60lb. For muskie leaders I've been using 130lb fluoro and crimping, not tieing although some guys still tie, I just find the thick fluoro tough to tie. Same deal as above, welded ring swivel on one end and a good snap on the other.

Great info and thanks...what size of swivel and snaps do you use? I take it the loop not is what the swivel goes on???

Great info and thanks...what size of swivel and snaps do you use? I take it the loop not is what the swivel goes on???

you end up with two loops, one on either end. depending on the type of snap you are using you can put it on once the loop is tied. a swivel with welded rings on the other hand, you obviously can't so make sure you put it in the right spot before cinching the knot down. it will make sense when you are actually doing it.

also, nothing says you could not use some type of clinch knot to tie the fluoro to swivel and snap but the loops are just my preferred way of doing things.

I use spro and stringease snaps and swivels (welded rings). they are not cheap but they are very well made and I can usually re-use them once the fluoro or wire is toast. I think the sizes I use range from 3 or 4 to 6. some guys prefer to just use a split ring instead of a snap as a lure attachment point too.

I use 45lb fluoro on my pike leaders and they stand up pretty well unless I made a booboo when I was making them. I wouldn't go any lower personally but plenty of people do. As far as walleye go I simply match the diameter of my old line. So I use 50lb PP on my baitcaster where I used to use 12 so I use a 12 pound fluoro leader for bass and walleye.

Hope this helps

RJ

I would like to know what is the point of usig 50lb PowerPro yet only use 12lb mono leader?

Why not just use cheaper 12lb or so entirely?

I would like to know what is the point of usig 50lb PowerPro yet only use 12lb mono leader?

Why not just use cheaper 12lb or so entirely?

PP doesn't stretch... that could be one reason, if you want to feel every bump, or if you got a ton of line out in the water.