Internet Providers

Fishnwire

I guess this should go under "Computer Help", but it's not really of a technical nature. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

I had EastLink as an internet provider, but recently switched to Bell. I noticed right away that the speed of movie/TV show downloads on Vuze (a bit torrent client I use) went way, WAY down. With EastLink they'd top out around 2.5 Mbps...I have never once seen the speed go above about 600 kBps with Bell. I spent an hour on the phone with their techies and they say everything is fine on their end. The speed test I ran shows I'm able to download at 5 Mbps...but when I actually try to download something it's about a tenth that. It doesn't matter if I use my computer or my wife's. I changed nothing except the provider.

I cancelled Bell and am getting Eastlink back. But I'm wondering if anyone has had something like this happen to them.

I had a similar problem with Compusolve which uses Bell. My internet speed dropped to a crawl. (600kb to 1mb per second)

Compusolve put in a work order to Bell asking them to check phone lines near my location for the problem. If the problem was not outside my home I would have to pay $100 for the inspection that they did outside the home. The problem found was that Ma Bell was making changes they shouldn't have done.

Bell decided on their own, for some reason, to lower my internet speed to a speed much lower than what I was paying for and Compusolve had Bell correct this and my speed returned to the 5mb/s I was suppose to get. Bell had no explanation why my internet speed was lowered.