Question for the tackle / fly rod experts

spincast

My father in law passed away on Labour day. He was an interesting man - born on the Mirimachi, worked in prospecting camps in Pickle Lake for Algoma Steel during his younger days. Also used to love fishing when he was a young man - and his father in law was a true outdoorsman in NB. We have some amazing photos (and stories) to remember them both by.

Amongst the many treasures he had accumulated in his life was a fly rod that he passed to me. Currently I don't fly fish (saving that one for my retirement), so my knowledge is next to nil on the subject, and no one in the family really has any details on the rod.

I am wondering if anybody here can help me with information on this rod?

It looks like it is bamboo, and it has 3 separate tips - I assume for different weight flys / water?

The only mark on it is a picture of a gold sailfish or marlin (?) on a blue background jumping out of the water as if hooked. No other markings. The hook holder is a brass circle. The whole thing looks like a real piece of art work

DSCF1430_zps47e5236b.jpg

DSCF1431_zpse36961e4.jpg

DSCF1434_zps486341a0.jpg

DSCF1441_zps825aeafc.jpg

It came in a home made box, with some flies and floats - all of which look really cool.

A definite keepsake for the family.

DSCF1440_zpsa46a7f72.jpg

DSCF1438_zpsf2425fbe.jpg

DSCF1437_zpsd65746ee.jpg

DSCF1436_zps2b3c3a97.jpg

Also wondering if this is something I should itemize with the insurance company? Obviously we cant replace the sentimental value, and I suspect it cant be replaced physically either, but it may still have a value that makes itemising it worthwhile? If anyone has any idea as to $ value I'd be interested in hearing (preferably via PM)

Yes, the fly rod appears to be a mass produced product. The wooden box is a dead give away regarding the rod. My Dad's first fly rox had a wooden box and was a low end product. Caught a lot of trout in the late 50's.

The flies look like trout flies.

Learning to fly fish would a be tribute and it's well worth while. Pan fish ( perch, bluegill and bass) will take a fly and they pull hard on a fly rod.

If you don't wish to use the rod, it could be made into a wall display to decorate your "Man Cave"

Cheers

David aka Superdad

thanks for the feedback guys. Helps give some back ground to the rod. Will definitely try it out - at the right time. The decoration thing has also occurred to me Dave, thanks. But that will call for a cottage, a few years down the road yet.. My man cave harbours the boat in the summer and the cars in the winter. No room for my comfy chair (unless I sit at the console)

Hi spincast,

The people to contact are the ones at The Classic Fly Rod Forum.

The category to use is Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods.

The address is -

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69&start=20

Include the photos that you have. Without the photos they cannot help you much.

Include the length of each piece. Shorter fly rods will sell for more than longer ones.

Include any writings that you can find even if it is only 2 characters. Check also the cap at the bottom of your main piece.

Include some or all of what you wrote in your OFC post. These guys are smart.

Include anything else that you may think of.

Good luck in getting the info about your rod and good luck in perhaps fly fishing.

carp-starter

I tried sending you a PM but was not able to.