Maitland River

oates

On my way to Manitoulin Island last week, I crossed the Maitland river. I never realised how close I was to it. Perhaps an hour from home. I usually track to the Grand (or sometimes stay in the Thames here in London). Thinking of hitting the Maitland river this fall but it looked shallow, does anyone know if there are spots to wade and search for pools? On the highway where I crossed it it was shallow, I think it was very near to the lake.

Would beat the traffic of the 401 and would be a pleasant drive with the manual transmission!

I searched the forum, not much discussion on the maitland river...maybe I should just take a drive and see, however, sometimes I find great spots but they are between private land so I thought I should raise the topic.

Thanks guys!

All I can suggest is go for a walk yes it's a great river many people fish right at the mouth if you take the time to walk up river from the mouth you will ding good spots the lazy people will not go to. My friend has some good spots we would fish years ago then go watch the zoo from the old train bridge. That was more fun then catching fish.

The Maitland... Was good... Is good? I don't know about this year the Mine/Port Authority will NOT stop messing around with construction and dropping tons and tons of rocks in the harbour, which unfortunately also holds the mouth of the river. Hopefully all that nonsense won't have impacted the entrance habitat for the fish to the river. Last winter it was some good times, pinning, bottom bouncing, chucking spoons and generally keeping the local tackle store in business LOL.

Since we couldn't fish the rocks in the spring we were on the steelwall one morning. Between my dad and I, I had to retie 11 times, while we were bottom bouncing!!! We did catch 3 fish, although they were all "tiny" compared to the monster one eight year old girl caught who was fishing with her dad had caught. It was three times as long as she was wide. She wasn't shy about showing us how much better she had done either LOL

By far the most important thing I caught that morning though, was about 80 ft of 60lb braid when I managed to break the hook. I pulled it in and it had about 6 lines wrapped up on it. Far fewer snags after that and I thought braid never broke off.... It sure was cutting our 6lb test mono to ribbons.

Up river there definitely is some awesome fishing, the harder the walk the better the opportunities in so many spots!!!

Edited by Canuck2fan