portmaitland

millerman

hey every one you can catch channel and sheep head at port maitland right? i am going up there soon so i just wanted to make sure also is it ok to eat the fish from there and what else could u possible catch there thank you in advance

You can catch anything that swims in Lake Erie there at different times of the year. But you're right, right now you're most likely going to catch roughfish such as carp, sheephead, channel cats, and little white bass. You also have the possibility of catching walleye and perch, but later in the fall and earlier in the spring is better for those two. I would not eat the roughfish out of there simply because I think they're gross, but the Grand is actually a suprisingly clean river so I'm sure you'll be fine. If you are determined to eat the fish you catch, check out the Ontario guide to eating sportfish- it lists the different sections of the Grand all the way from Belwood down to Port Maitland.

I would not suggest eating anything you listed from Maitland at this time of year. Maybe sheepshead (farm animals) because they come in from deep water to feed, but they aren't on my choice of fish to eat. They however are becoming popular no matter how gross they look and sound. Then again I wouldn't be in the same room with some stuff I have seen people put in their mouths and swallow it.

We just had a few Silver Bass, some call them white bass or white perch, and they are a firmer flesh fish that again don't spend their whole summer in the river and taste fantastic fresh, only fresh.

The channel cats are best in the spring when the water is cold, they are very muddy this time of year, and the big boys are terrible table fare, release them, please.

Check the regulations for suggested maximum number of meals you should eat from Erie. Never feed these fish to a pregnant woman, ever.